Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Hydraulic Steering.... Valves and ram....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Is anyone here running a full hydro steering? If so, what kind of valve are you running and where did you get it? What kind of ram are you using as well?
    How do you like it and what would you do different?

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I actually don't have a rig to run his setup on, but my front 60 is going to be setup with full hydro steering from him:

Contact me by E-mail @ Performance Off-Road Systems

Or by phone @ 601-605-0122

Sean is very knowledgeable (sp?) and a great guy to deal with.

BTW, some people use a tie rod along with the full hydro steering but I plan on not too. Causes binding in your steering.

Eric

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

prolly get more info on this via a pirate4x4.com search or a post in their newbie forum. There are a TON of guys running full hydro over there... i cant think of many ck5'ers that do it.. prolly because most of our rigs are street legal/safe. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

4. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW, some people use a tie rod along with the full hydro steering but I plan on not too. Causes binding in your steering.

[/ QUOTE ]

not trying to hijack, but without a tierod how do u keep ur tires facing the same direction like they should? a ram for each side or a double ended ram with mini "tierods" on each end like I see over at por sometimes??

j

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not trying to hijack, but without a tierod how do u keep ur tires facing the same direction like they should? a ram for each side or a double ended ram with mini "tierods" on each end like I see over at por sometimes??

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to use a double ended ram with the small tie rods on each end going to my hi-steer arms. I will have to fab a mount up for the double end cylinder to mount on that should only be the real challenge of keeping it out of harms way. Need to make it real beefy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. jekbrown

yeah. Im think about the same type of thing for a toy buggy project. Now that I mentioned it though... having 2 rams might not be such a bad idea. lol! if you had a cheap source of them, you could use 2 smaller diameter rams, one on each side, mounted to the axle and running directly to the steering arms. just throwing ideas out there... but wouldnt this give u the benefit of quicker turning (smaller ram) and plenty of turning power (2 rams!) not to mention that you'd save weight by not having a tie rod at all. Only negative I could see is that you'd prolly have to armor them or carry a spare ram on the trail.. cause if one got toasted you'd be in trouble. lol.

again, not tryin to hijack!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

7. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am running the complete Howe system on my buggy and really like just about everything about it. I have their double ended ram and mini tie rods. You should be able to get everything you need from someone that sells their stuff or from Sean Station at Pirate. Sean makes up your order to your specs. I have not dealt with Sean myself but I know that West Texas Offroad deals with him for full hydro setups. I think you can't go wrong with using a well known and established dealer on this stuff. I would be real hesitant to put a system together out of parts from several different people. These systems can be a handful to drive at just 30 mph if they are not set up correctly. I have ridden in buggies with full hydro at 50-60 mph and never felt like the driver was going to fast for the steering.

BTW you can see picks of my front axle and ram mounting on the ORD forum 21 road pics.

Also the Howe orbital valve does not seem to be as nice as some of the other valves that I have driven. I don't really know the difference in what they are spec'd at but mine feels like you have very fast steering at speed. Ok, beyond fast steering at speed. I have gotten used to it but when ever someone else drives my buggy they always complain about the speed of the steering at high vehicle speeds.

8. jekbrown

yeah, this thing would be a sub-30 mph rig... so maybe the system wouldnt have to be toooo high end pimpin'. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif cool pics! i dunno about the whole DE ram... big thread on pirate right now... interesting stuff.

j

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would be real hesitant to say any rig is ever sub any mph. I have a lot of fun driving mine "fast" on dirt roads and in and out of the easy spots on trails. You don't want to comprimise with hyd. steering. I don't think you have to spend Howe Performance type money like I did to have a great system though.

The thread at POR is quite interesting. I can understand both sides. Pat Gremillion has bent 4,5,6 Double ended shafts, I don't know excatly how many really but it is more than I ever hope to bend. He just has very poor angles on his steering and it causes the rams to bend when he puts a big load on it. I think that the tie rod with double ended ram will bind but how much I really don't know. Is it enough to wory about or not? Someday when I have more time I might do some Checking and measuring with mine and see if the differance is 1/8" or 1".

I spent many hours trying to make everything perfect Geometry wise. I think/hope I did it right. I have used it some but not to hard, so far everything is nice. As for the theory of the big plow off of the front of the axle hanging up on things I really like the big ramp that I ended up with. I have just pushed the front axle over rocks that would have hit the dif. or axle tube.