Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full-Hydro, Can you flat tow?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by DougK20, Dec 13, 2004.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Want to go full-hydro steering. Can I still flat tow with my tow-bar afterwards?

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I would think you could, if you just pull the ram from the axle each time at one end or the other.

What do you flat tow with, and do you have brakes on your k5 when towing?

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know if you can tow a full hydro vehicle. It has no return to center feature so I would think you couldn't. But they do tow fork lifts behind flatbed semi trucks. Those are most likely full hydro and they flat tow those. :dunno:

Harley

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yes, you can still flat tow.... BUT you would have to add a few features to your rig while doing the swap.

tabs to put ridged connecting links into the steering system. welt some tabs on to the axle and then ether disconect the tie rod and connect the links up.

yes, this will make in town towing a bit harder on your rig being towed, and maybe a bit annoying on you in the tow rig. BUT, down the highway your wheel should be locked anyway. also the links would have to be very strong as well.
    Grant

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A couple of comments:

- Isn't the "return to center" feature controlled by the alignment (ie. toe setting) of the front axle? Yeah, yeah, I know some full hydro vehicles don't have return to center but that's because the force of the ram is holding the tires (it's greater than the force of the toe setting trying to return to center) turned unless you manually rotate the steering wheel. I would say if you can jack the front tires off the ground of a full hydro setup, and turn them by grabbing the tires, it shouldn't be an issue.

- I don't think you would want the front tires locked straight ahead for flat-towing. How in the world would you turn it without literally dragging the front end from side to side?

With that said, what type of rig are you planning on flattowing and what is the tow rig?

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Off Topic, do you think it would be possable to lift the front end off the gound to tow????

Take some mods but....

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a tow truck would be the only way.

and as for having the wheels locked, i towed my blazer for just under 300 miles, wheels locked, with no problems. had 33's at the time.

yes, its more wear on the tires, but it still works.

they make trailers for towing, i dont think flat towing is a good idea for anything other than a 3klbs car or so.
    grant