Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Hydro Steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudgod, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

I need a full set-up. Who has the best deal out there? And where can I order it at.
    I need pump, O valve, colume, double ended ram, ends for the ram, cooler and reservior, and hoses.

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a friend took his stock steering box and cut the worm gear stuff off it and plated the end and used the box as an orbital valve then the stock steering shaft and all worked. He mounted a 2x8 cylinder and ran hoses and works great. Can try to get pick later

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

search posts for DougK20 he has full hydro setup

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

pirate has a few vendors over there who can help you out, and alot of information. Theres many things you need to consider when doing this kind of swap. Like what size ram and if you want a return to center orbital valve. you have to make sure that all the components in your system will match nicely otherwise your system will not live a long happy life. Theres a vendor over there that can set you up with a complete kit with everything you need and from what I hear this would probably be the way to go. A little expensive but will save you money in the long run and you wont have any problems with it. I did alot of research on the subject as I am trying to figure out whats going on with my rockwell conversion.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/index3.html

Read this along with hydralic basics and stuff and it will give you some good info. And I think in there is a guy you can get your stuff from.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

A good quality system will be around 1500.00. A gave you a link on the Texas board on who to call. :D

Hurry up get that K5 done, I want to see that Dana 60 punished!!! :bow:

6. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

I just read a thread on this page from DP_90K5 that has lots of info, links & pics.
    Hope that is helpful.

7. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Hey, Blazin.... how's it going?

Ya, I'm runnin' a full setup from Howe.

Howe Performance

I'm currently using a single-ended ram and it's working great. Sure a double would be cool if you can swing it.

There are several vendors out there and they will all say they have the best deal, and/or product. All I can say is do your homework. I have $1200 into mine and that's with some used parts. It has worked awesome from day one and given me NO trouble.

In this pic you can see the steering unit where the factory box used to be....

[​IMG]

In this pic you can see the ram mounted where the steering stabilizer used to be....

[​IMG]

8. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Good Info. guys. :) I called Sean Stapley of Performance Off-Road Systems. He gave me a quote of $1,300 for a complete system. All new parts. From the ends for the tire rods to the filter.

9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I hear good things about him...... Well, did you order it!?

10. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Did that price include hoses & fluid? Sometimes a new pump/pulley means a new belt too. How are you going to attach your steering shaft? Did that also include a cooler? You may end up needing one. it all adds up

11. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Got to save the money up. List of stuff from the Quote: D ended ram, the ends for the tire rod, but not the tube used for the tire rods, New pump, Res, filter, O valve (3.5 turns), colume and the coulper to hook up the steering.
    He can seen it out two weeks after he gets the order.
    Hoses? I don't know for sure. Fluid? I assume not.