Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full length headers - opinions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... who runs/has run full length headers and should I bother considering them?

I cant find any shorty headers that will fit (angle plug heads) and I want more power from my currently plugged up engine...

Is there an alternative?

Thanks
    -Ryan

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i have full length ones...but i couldnt tell you how they perform cause thats all ive driven with

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I got my truck, it had full length headers. the collector ended up right next to the front spring shackle. When the suspension would get tweaked(like turning the wheel full lock while sitting still) the shackle would bang against the collector loudly(like a starter against a flywheel sound).
    I bought some Hedman headers for a 73-87 Chevy 4x4 Pick-up. The collectors are tucked up about 6" higher and clear everything 4x4 related.

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

If you look at any dyno charts comparing shorty headers to long-tube you will see that for a truck, you will definitely rather have long tubes. They develop more torque at a lower rpm than a shorty or a stock manifold. The difference between a shorty header and a stock manifold won't show up until pretty high in the rpm band. I run Hedman long-tubes on my truck and I love them. They are high quality, seal well and are also cheap. You should be able to get a set for around $100.

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks