Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Metal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CooknwithGas, Nov 11, 2002.

1. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Did anyone happen to catch the last episode of Full Metal Challenge on TLC last night? The American team fabricated some high-clearance axles with chain-drive to each wheel. Take a look at this awesome 4x4 vehicle:

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/fmc/bio/bio_01_inter.html

Another idea they included is the fenders. These fenders fold upwards. I recorded the entire episode, and didn't get to see the end, so don't spoil it for me and tell me who won! I hope not the chinese in that crazy two-engine thing they created. The Chinese truck actually fell OFF the roller coaster! It was a great show from what I saw.

If you haven't watched this show, you need to catch it on Sunday and Wednesday nights on TLC. I have got some great ideas from these guys - I think there are 27 vehicles all together.

Their chain-drive axle idea looked really good and I was thinking maybe an NP203 chain drive set-up on each wheel could be made for extra high clearance....or maybe not.

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

have you noticed the lack of four wheel drive and lsd's or lockers? every time i watch sumo i see everyone spinning one rear wheel.

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

locker would probably kill them on the roller coaster though. Notice how fake it is when they "blow up" the first loosers /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

None of them can bowl to save their lives either. Everyone wants to take out all 10 in one go...the smart thing is to drive to the left and take out the 4 or 5 on that side and then the right side the next time.

Rene

5. I have not seen the newest show you are refering to, but have seen all the others and I agree it drives me nuts that know body is running a selectabl locker like ARB, OX, or Unimogs. It must be the cost factor or some thing. Boy I think it would be a blast to give it a go.

6. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

can't stay up that late(fall asleep) will see it wednesday night. And nobody has a snorkel on either

7. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

thats another show i DONT get. i live out in the sticks and cant get any of those fancy channles. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but that sounds like a cool show. im going to make a point of being at a freinds house when that comes on next. when i was on vaation over the summer i always tried to make it back to the hotel in time to watch Monster garage. custom fabriation is good stuff!!

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I believe the budget is approx $3000 USD (2000 pounds) so using the ORD buggy ain't gonna happen anytime soon/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As it is these guys have been pretty damn creative with such a small budget!!

The other thing to remember is that they were not told what the vehicle would have to do...at all. They gave them the money and told them to be prepared for anything.

Rene

9. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

That's right. $3,000 and no details on the competition. They don't even get to watch the other competitors run the roller coaster event.

Did you catch the part about the "Ball and Chain Gang" getting satellite photos of the construction site while they were building the tracks? They had some friend give them a peek at the tracks.

I finished watching the tape last night and the Chinese won! I can't believe they beat the Ball & Chain guys. They rammed them with that funky tractor/jeep thing and broke one of those fancy chain drive axles. Did you see the Chinese guys fall off the roller coaster? That was great! Must have been a 15-foot drop right on their side. Then the Brit guy went to the hospital cause he landed too hard on one of the bridges! Brutal - no suspension and a 30-foot drop.

I also have noticed the rear wheels spinning on the Sumo pit. I'm not sure why that is, but they seem to suffer a lot of damage in that event. My new favorite is the "Law Dogs." They have a nice truck and won on the second episode. Here's their vehicle:

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/fmc/bio/bio_06_inter.html

If you missed it, watch it Wed. night, you won't be sorry.