Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full size jeep transfer case questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TorkDSR, Feb 21, 2002.

1. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

Sep 1, 2001
    hey, i wasnt sure if this belnged in "othe rides" but its relevant. i just picked up a 79 j33p grand wagoneer, and i cant find a "low range" switch, or lever or button or knob. its got some sorta quadra trac setup, and there is a vacuum knob in the glove box, but thats for the hi-loc i think, like in the 203 setup, but i cant find low-range.....any input?
    Thanks Ryan

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>
  2. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Jun 15, 2001
    I Dont know much about anything but GM!!!! [​IMG]

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Apr 20, 2001
    Iv got a 77 Cherokee with a quadra track t case.I dont think all of these t cases had low range .Iv got the knob in the glove box and my low range lever is on the floor in front of the drivers seat right next to the tunnel.

What do I know,Im just a Ford guy [​IMG].<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>
  4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    The nob in the glove box is to lock the front and rear axels thgeather. Under normal conditions the quadra trac delivers most of the power to the axel that has the most traction. Kinda like a limited slip differential.
    When the vacum knob in the glove box is activated it acts like a locker. Giving equal power to each axel.
    You should only activate it when off road and need the traction.
    Alll the full size jeeps i have owned had a "T" handle and cable set up on the bottom of the dash that said "low Range" Pulling it out engaged low range. I had a 74 waggy and a 73 J 2000 both had Q- track and thats how they were set up
    If you cant find yours maby it broke off and the previous owner never replaced it.
    And like Frizz said . Some of those rigs espically in the later years did not have a low range,

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 02/21/02 07:35 AM.</FONT></P>
  5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    Low range was optional on the Quadra-Trac transfer cases. If yours doesn't have it, then you can add it. It literally bolts onto the transfer case. I'm pretty sure that you just remove a block-off plate and install the low range unit. [​IMG]

If you want to find out more, check out the Colorado Full Size Jeep Association web page at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.cfsja.org>www.cfsja.org</a> Lots of cool rigs over there...

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...