Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full size revolver shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90BCk5, Feb 17, 2006.

1. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

i spoke with someone at teraflex last week about their production of full size revolver shackles, they wont be out for a few more months and they didnt give me any specs on what they will flex like, how much they will increase rear end travel or cost, any of that good stuff, but maybe someone on the boards has heard what i need to hear? any chance?

thanks

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you actually use your truck and run trails and not just try and out ramp everyone at 4 wheelparts then don't get them, or any other type of scissor shackle. Every truck I have ever seen with revolvers, springers, etc has bolted them together or gotten rid of them after the first trip out.

3. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Oh dear god. Come over to AZ and eat your words coil over boy (a bit of noted sarcasim jason). One of the yahoo's in AZ even uses the 1/4 eliptic spring pack as the upper locating links with good success.

The problem with revolvers is when extended they act like a 11" shackle and give little road feel to the driver (described as that woogiley feeling). I don't like revolvers and also they operate in a different way than a springer. Both act differently than 3/4 eliptic.

Bottom line. Revolvers suck, and don't bash the springer till you have seen it run on the trials it was designed for.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never had my k5 on a ramp of any sort... but I have run trails... more than once... with revolvers. There is only one situation I have found where they were a "problem" and that was when both the front and rear axles are at ledges and you are trying to "bump" up them... the revs will tend to open up, slowing forward/upward progress. This is annoying to be sure, but in other instances they are better than just a normal spring/shackle. Obviously, a 4-link would be better than anything... but lets not act like running a trail with revolvers is going to result in spontaneous rig combustion or something...

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the testament I saw that made me say "never on my rig", was at a Neuroc competition at Paragon. A Jeep in the Stock class with a 4 banger and a broken stub shaft was FEET from the finish line and timed out. She(yes she) had Revolver shackles in the rear. What stopped her from completing the course? A log. She bumped into the log with the front tires and just sat there doing nothing. Whenever she hit the throttle the rear end lifted up, fully extending the revolver shackles and the rear tires spun. Imagine if that was on a downhill, with some real power in your engine.

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok but how many people that purchased them live in AZ and wheel where you do? I wheel at the hammers alot and every truck that has come with us that had them has ended up bolting them shut. One truck we had to zip tie them shut with huge zip ties just so the guy could finish the trail. They were causing so much axle wrap on any ledge that he was binding the rear driveshaft and breaking straps. I don't see how AZ can be any different unless all the ledges are nice and sloped. Anything vertical will cause the rear to buck all over the place.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Alot of people who have run Revolver shackles have regretted it. Some people like them, most don't.

I am not going to agree with Jason on Bashing the Springer suspension though and grouping it in with revolver shackles. More then a few of my friends in AZ run it. It isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread but it does work in certain types of wheeling terrain after you learn to drive with it.

I won't say that Springers are the sh*t and recommend that everybody go get it, but if you are wheeling in AZ with my friends you will think about it and be tempted to do it unless you could afford something better like links w/coilover.

Harley

9. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Lumping Springer Suspension w/ Revolver Shackles is like comparing Apples to a bulldozer. They are just not in the same group to compare.

Let's get something straight, Springer Suspension works!!! I am a living example of how this works, I wheel my junk almost every weekend during the wheeling season, and have had Zero problems with it. We wheel hard and a lot and to this day, I still like it very much. I have wheeled just about every trail in AZ, Moab, Farmington New Mexico, Las Cruces New Mexico, Parker AZ, any major trail system I have been on. I don't take the easy trails or the easy line either.

Don't let anyone tell you that Springer Suspension and Revolver Shackles are in the same class.

Just because I don't run Coilover suspension, don't discount the fact that I can't run nor should I say "Springer Suspension" can't be VERY TRAIL WORTHY.

I have yet to wheel the Hammers in CA, but I can promise you that it's got to be somewhat like some of the hard trails here in AZ, and I would have no problems wheeling the Hammers on my Springer.

You don't have to have the most up to date biggest hardcore wheeling components to wheel hard and not break or hit the hard trails, and anyone telling you differently is pointing you in the wrong direction.

I wheel with 35" tires too; does that mean I'm any less able? Ask anyone that wheel with us in AZ. They will be glad to comment on that fact.

I don't know anything about revolver shackles, but grouping Springer Suspension into the same category is totally not correct.

Just check out some of the Webshot or Group rides pictures, of some of the trails we have run. These pictures are real world rides on real world trails.
    I'm not discounting the use of Coilovers or a fancier type of suspension, just pointing out a simple fact, which Springer Suspension works.

I also want to point out that this board sometimes is skewed towards the "Cool Stuff", or what certain vendors "Sell", but it's a proven fact that you don't have to have the "Cool Website Stuff That Everyone Talks About", to wheel on hard trails and have a good time. Dana 60's, Doublers, 42" tires, and Full Hydro steering are totally overrated and are expensive, to get started with, down the road as you understand what you want to do with your rig, buying this stuff is fine. If you have the $$$$ and want to have the "Cool stuff that everyone has" get this stuff, if you want to wheel and have fun with friends and others, find you way through trial and error, and find out what works.

There is a point when you have to have the "Cool very expensive stuff", but that after normally quite a few years of wheeling and understanding what you what to wheel and where you are going to wheel.

Just my opinion!

Rob