Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full size revolver shackles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by boots, Nov 3, 2002.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Somewhere on off-road.com they have a review of revolver shackles for Blazers etc. Anyone know where I can lay my hands on a set? Anyone have specs on em I'm a welder fabricator who is on good terms with machinist and if I can't buy some I'd consider making my own if I had some more info.

me just dreamin again
    boots

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The company that makes them is now called Tera-Flex. They have a website. Do a search for them and see what you come up with. I know a guy that runs them, they are great off road, but they feel VERY squirrelly on the road. They need to make a set that you can lock in place for daily driving. I have some ideas for a kit that would make thme "lockable, but it would be expensive I think.

3. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Yeah I just about had an orgasm when a while back there ad said now available for full size applications. I email em them ASAP and they said oh that was a typo. Sooo back to square one, as for locking them down that should be fairly simple to accomplish, at least form what pictures I've seen of them. I Dunno got lots of other projects before i get into the realm of revolvers just looking for more pages for my dream book.

boots

4. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif THAT SUCKS!!!! I thought that they were for full-sizer?? I even called them a while back and they told me about how they were being used on Broncos and Blazers with great results .... Now that I can't have them I WANT THEM!!!!

Damn Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Re: full size revolver shackles (heres the email to and from them)

To: <boots@commerceconnections.com>
    Subject: Re: revolver shackles on full size blazer
    Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:00:44 -0600
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.3018.1300

Shawn,

I hate to tell you but the revolvers will not work on your vehicle. The ad was actually a misprint as they are not designed for full size vehicles.

Thanks,

Chad Hansen
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Chad Hansen
    Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 1:46 PM
    Subject: FW: revolver shackles on full size blazer

JIM WALKER
    CS Account Manager/Technical Support
    TERA MANUFACTURING
    801-256-9897
    801-256-9879(fax)

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 9:56 PM
    To: teraflex@teraflx.com
    Subject: revolver shackles on full size blazer

I was recently looking at one of your ads in Four Wheeler magazine and it said, "The shackles can also be applied to Ford Broncos and full sizes; Chevy full sizes..." I am curious to know how hard it is to adapt these over to a full size 73 Chevy blazer and what kind of articulation will be gained. As of now we do not have any type of lift at all on this vehicle, we are just getting it back together and drivable but I am looking at slowly building it up to a mild off roader without losing to much driveabilty as it will be my wifes daily driver.

Thanks,
    Shawn

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i cant see a way of easily using them on a full size. the axle shackle on the front spring is at the rear, so as the axle droops away, the pinion angle gets horrible. the spring would need to be attached at the rear and shackled at the front, just like the jeep things. but there is lots of mods for the rear, mostly custom

ryan

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

There's a couple of people running them on this site. I believe they are using the xj version as it is very close to the the chevy shackle size.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You don't want to change the spring mount to the back.
    All jeep try to do the opposite moving the shckle to the rear, for a better ride.
    Anyway I don't think any revolver shackle is advised for a front of any vehicle.
    I have been in a jeep that had them in the rear, and on road man they are scary.
    I am doing my own design for the blazer, basically a dual shackle with a locking option when on road.
    Just like you disconnect your sway bar, you would disconnect the shcakle when you are off road.
    Give me a month so I can get to it and when I am done I will post some pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Here's an idea for "locking them out" for the street. Couldn't you put a longer bolt in the frame and spring mounts, say 1/2" to 3/4" longer. You could put a short limiting strap on it-like a shock limiting strap-but shorter. Then you could crossdrill the mounting bolts and use a hitchpin to hold the straps on. Just throw the straps and the pins in the glovebox when wheelin.

You could also vary the lenth of the straps to control how far you want the shackles to drop. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif