Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full size spares

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Apr 26, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Does every one run a full size spare? I have 35" mud terrains and a worn out 35" kelly mud tire as a spare. Problem is it wont fit on the stock spare tire carrier between the rear seat and tailgate (almost does) Right now it is flat on the rear floor, but would like to mount it upright between the rear seat and tailgate. Its so close that a 33" spare would solve the problem. since I run open differentals would a 33" spare be all that bad? The way it is I only run my current spare on the front with hubs unlocked if I need to use it.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you don't have a traction device of some kind, then yes, you can run a smaller spare tire. I wouldn't recommend it, but you can do it. If you already have a 35" spare, then I say just keep it.

If you have a traction device, don't run two different size tires on that axle, and if you have traction devices front and rear, don't run differnt size tires at all. You will wear out the traction devices, or possibly break them.

3. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

If you have onboard, let the air out of the spare. That should allow you to mount it in the factory position.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Get the lmc truck (www.lmctruck.com) catalog and buy the '73-74 spare tire bracket, or find it in a junkyard(good luck!).
    The '73 and '74's had the spare tire mounted upright, parallel with the rear seat, right behind it on the left side of the cargo area(instead of upright, parallel with the bodyside on the rightside). All I had to do to mount a 35" tire there was drill a slightly larger mounting hole and it fit perfectly.

BlazerMan