Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full sun roof ala Samari

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Aug 21, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I saw this on a full-size Bronco and it looked way cool, cut out a large sunroof, as large as you can go and then weld in a couple of 1" tubes accross the middle for support, the guy covered it with snap on canvas and since he had the top off it really open it up and the half cab could still be installed to keep things dry. After looking at it, it kind of reminded me of a Suzki Samari top, just wondering if it would still keep the integrity of the half top, I would think so with the bracing. Can you get the visual?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sounds too smart...i like it!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

3. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve,
    Your just dying to take a sawzall to the K5 aren't you ! Why not just install a large sunroof? [​IMG]

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio&lt;/a&gt;

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by JoeAngelicchio on 08/21/01 01:20 PM.</FONT></P>

4. CK5

Yup

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I have often thought about this exact thing...........to make the top like a Porsche Targa top like you see on the 914's.........put one cross brace in to keep the internal roll bar integrity and use what you sawzalled out for the 'poor weather' roof..........or fab up a cool (and weather/waterproof) fabric cover. Or sorta like the earlier Camaro's had the T-tops...........man, you got us thinking.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

camaro T-tops would be pimp! anyone wanna give it a try?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My K5 is a '75 full removable top model. I've been thinking about installing a top from an '88 that a friend will give me. Should give me the Targa look but I'll have to come up with a way to cover the front seating area during non-optimal weather. [​IMG] Anybody have a '73-'75 soft top that is trashed in the back half? I could probably adapt the front part of it to fit. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have thought about doing that with a spare hard top I was supose to get ( on my 75). If you get a Bikini from a FJ 40 they have a track that the canvas slides into that you could screw down across the front to get a better seal. Some Velcro straps to hold it when rolled without fully removing it. It's Cheap too. I think J.C. Whitney sells the canvas for $35 and the track for $15 as I recall.
    The other thought was the old canvas sliding tops they used on the VW Bus's. They were HUGE. about 4ft long. They have the bows built in to suport the top so no other bars needed. Still available but not cheap.
    Another Idea that came to mind was on the 76 up graft in the power sunroof off of a second Gen RX7 (RX is about the biggest I have seen but CRX's used same type set up) or simular top. These pop up in the back and slide over the roof. That way you don't have to mess with the intergral roll hoop, you dont have to store a pop out. Hit the button and it's open. hit the button and it's closed.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] LMFAO!!! <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

T-tops would be pimp!

<hr></blockquote>

UUUUhhhhhh, he said pimp!! Thats too funny.
    You sound like my friend Kevin!!

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I've seen one that someone put T-tops in a K-5 looked great....also sean sliding rag top in half cab on a k-5.... Steeve that is what it sounds like someone has done..... When you cut the half top it will weaken your half top....But you can Re-inforce it also to strengthen it again to.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

11. CK5

Yeah, I'm not talking about t-tops but a very large sunroof kind of thing, how did the sliding rag top look?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

12. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Wait a minute....the BIGGEST sunroof ever made is on Jeep Grand Wagoneers. I had 2 of these and drive/passanger and soem one else could EASILY stand up thru it. Very Very large....

Ben

13. CK5

Kind of like this but the K5 will have a little more on the sides so the doors seal up. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.spidertrax.com/Events/pages/moab2000_111_jpg.htm>http://www.spidertrax.com/Events/pages/moab2000_111_jpg.htm</a>

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

They look good.... I've seen lots in Mini trucks and I heard that they work well the tracks can be power or hand powered.... I've also heard that they are making the canvis can be removed from the top so it isn't bunched up at the rear of the frame....

C'moe

15. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

One of the sport truck manufacturers (I think Ratical Tops) used to make a targa top kit for just about every pickup - I'd think a 73-87 pickup kit would be easily adapted to a Blazer.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

16. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I use to skateboard with Eddie of Spider Trax, I have not seen him in a very loooooong time. I thought of doing this to my blazer too, just do not have power in me to cut the roof.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Here's some DIY kits for the sliding rag - pugsley.alloffroad.com

18. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I've seen a couple of Chevy pickups in old 4x4 mags that had t-top conversions and often wondered if my 87 K5's half cab would be strong enough after installing one. I'd have to do alot of digging to find it, but I imagine you could probably find something like it in a street truck mag like TRUCKIN', since they're more into cosmetic modifications.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

19. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Check out the show/street truck mags like TRUCKIN', they've got alot of stuff like that advertised. I've seen Chevy trucks in mags before that had t-top conversions, and I've wondered if they would work with a Blazer half cab.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I did work for them in their early days and I wouldn't put one in my vehical (Ratical Tops) unless your a body geru stay clea of Convertable or Targa's...... The PVC plastic is ok but doesn't last.....Metal is better (last longer).....

C'moe