Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full time 4WD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justwhatido, May 2, 2005.

1. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

What happens if I put locking hubs on my 1973 with full time 4WD?

And with the 2" lift, I dont like the angle between the Pittman arm and the steering arm. Does anyony male a modified arm for either end that lessens or eliminates this angle?

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

All the internals will still spin just the same, the wheels will just be unlocked from the driveline. I don't think it'll make an appreciable difference, it may "hop" less in corners tho.

3. justwhatido

Seems like the wear and tear would

be less and the milage might be better.

Fred

4. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

If the t-case has its full time diff (NP203 I'm takin) then if the front driveshaft is not turning then the spider gears inside the t-case will spin like mad and might lead to a problem. Not sure if that is the case. It's only another 40 bucks to install the mile marker part time kit into the 203 and its really easy.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Unlocking hubs do no good for a np203 that isn't converted to part time. The 203 transfer case works like an open differential. It will split torque evenly between the front and rear driveshafts at normal speed. But if you unhook the front hubs the front driveshaft will spin and the rear won't move. If you would lock the differenial you could do it but the front drivetrain will still spin. Just not all the way to the wheels.

Hope that made sense, I'm a lil buzzed right now :D

6. justwhatido

How difficult is it to convert full time to part time

4WD ? Milemarker kit?

7. 79chevyk10

I know Summit racing sell the part-time kit in the same section as the hubs. There should be a Milemarker will list it as a part-time kit with hubs. That will give you two manual unlocking hubs and one transfercase kit to convert your NP203 "Full-time" t-case into part-time. Comes with instructions and the t-case does not need to come out. The differential of the t-case it at the aluminum tail housing. Just remove the spiders gears and install part-time kit. This will completely disconnect you front driveshaft while in 2wd HI with the hubs unlocked. :D

8. justwhatido

Found the Mile Marker kit locally for

approximately $129 (including locking hubs) and the transmission shop that rebuilds the trannys for our big rigs (18 wheelers) says they will install the kit and check out the transfer case (make sure the chains are all in good shape) for somewhere between $50 and $100.

Sounded like a pretty good deal to me. I would like opinions from folks in the know.

Fred

9. 79chevyk10

Do it...parts price is about 25 bucks higher than I've seen it advertised for but it's still a good price. It's always a good idea to check the chain wear. NP203's wear the chain out with full-time their known for it.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As already mentioned, if you just install locking hubs it really won't help anything. With the hubs unlocked and the t-case in the normal high range the truck won't move because just the front output will be spinning but it can't transfer power to the wheels because the hubs are unlocked. You can put it in 4-lock but it would the same as running a regular part time 4wd truck in 4 hi with just the front hubs unlocked.......all of the front drivetrain still spins.