Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full time 4x4 can a 33 work as a spare????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntx78k5, Jul 20, 2005.

1. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 with the full time 4x4 I can never remember what TCase that is but I am running 35's with a 4" lift. I carry an old 33" spare as that is all that will fit inside in the normal carrier.

My question is can I even use that 33 if I get a flat without screwing up something in the drive train?

Eventually I mount a spare tire carrier on the back bumper that will hold a 35 but until then it it even worth my time carrying that 33 around?

Thanks,

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

NP203

I would run a 33 for a spare, it's better than nothing. Don't put your t-case in the "LOC" position though.

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yep, what he said. You'll be fine as longs as you don't have your axles locked or spooled. I carried a 33 as spare for awhile and used it a few times while runnig 36's.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

it wont matter if the tcase in in lock, the only think that matters is if he has some sort of locker

5. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

All good news, and thanks for the info. I just run it in normal 4 wheel. In fact I've only moved it to 4 wheel lock once and that wasnt even 4 low.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The t-case could be considered a front-to-rear locker, and with a smaller tire on one corner of the truck it will make the driveshaft for that axle spin at a different speed than the axle with the same size tires. The difference in size isn't very much though so maybe it wouldn't have any serious negative effects.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hummmm ya i guess that makes sence, it would make the driveshaft spin a little faster/slower. that would not be good

8. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

not to sound like a dumb ass but ,with a locker couldnt you let the air out of the 35 until its 33" tall? :confused:

9. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt want to drive anywhere at any real speed with a tire aired down. I live in Hollister, maybe 8 miles from "Hollister Hills" SVRA, and I wouldnt want to do the few miles of 55+ MPH with a tire aired down to be same height as another. And how would you do it? Eyeball from one side of truck to the other?? :confused:

10. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

the spare is not on the truck so you could put it right next to it, and close enough should be good enough for a spare.....I would think

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe I'm way off base here but my common sense meter tells me that even if you aired down a 35 to the height of a 33, it would still have a larger circumference due to the fact that the tire is simply bigger...that being said, yes, a 33 will work fine for a spare in a pinch.

12. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

Even if the case is in LOC, won't the open differential handle that one wheel spinning faster and not affect the drive shaft speed? That's what differentials do. They allow one tire to spin faster than the other.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The open diff would make up for half of the difference, not all of it.

I've driven 15 miles at 55+MPH on 5 PSI in 36" radials, would do it any day. Sometimes that's just where the nearest gas station is.

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Think of it like running 31's in the front, and 44's in the rear - only not as drastic. The differential in the axle will balance the difference from left to right, but not front to rear.

15. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

Ahh. I see now what you mean. The diff will equalize the axle, but that still might be a different speed from the other axle.

16. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

If I had a locker I would go with same size tire. I wouldnt want to have to worry about the bad things that can happen with an under inflated tire at highway speeds. Generates heat and then possible tire failure. If the axle isnt locked I would have no problem using a 33" tire as a spare. As long as the other tire isnt bigger than 37".
    Oh and about having the tire off the truck to check size with the tire on the truck...with the truck weight the tire could loose an inch of height. But hey, you do what you want and I will do what I want and we will both be happy,