Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full-time *gear-driven* t-case?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speedup, Apr 4, 2003.

1. speedup

speedup Registered Member

Just curious, but does such thing as a full-time gear-driven transfer case exist? I love my full-time NP203, but that chain stretch thing just gets annoying... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Or, better yet, has anybody ever replaced the chain in a 203 with a series of gears? Maybe somebody makes a super-strong chain that is impervious to stretching <rubs rabbit's foot vigorously>? All I ever want in this world is a bullet-proof full-time t-case that can handle massive torque, is that so much to ask? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    All I ever want in this world is a bullet-proof full-time t-case that can handle massive torque, is that so much to ask?

[/ QUOTE ]
    How much torque are you talking about? The 203 is stronger than most people give it credit for. As long as the bearings and chain are good I wouldn't worry about it. How do you know that the chain is stretched? I have had the same chain in mine every since I bought it in 90 so mines over 13 years old.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

The only upgrade I know of is if you have the 2" wide chain you can get new 2 1/2" sprockets and chain that will take a little more abuse.

If you keep burning up chains, why not just put a conversion kit in it and forget about it?

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

... that conversion kit only makes it a part time case from a full time case...it does not eliminate the chain.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Those chains will run 100k no problem. If your tire wear on all four tires is not even then it puts more stress on the chain. That right there is where 90% of the 203 bad rap comes from is people not replacing four tires at one time and keeping them rotated.
    There are cheap chains out that do not hold up as well as others. I'm running a Mile Marker chain and it seems fine after a couple years of abuse with double lockers and a year of 35's.
    Mile marker also sells a chain tensioner called a chain saver. www.milemarker.com
    What it does is put the front outout on excentrics so you can tighten it up some.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... that conversion kit only makes it a part time case from a full time case...it does not eliminate the chain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I realize that. I've installed both types (and even welded gears) in many trucks.

The benefit comes from the fact that when the transfer case is not locked the chain isn't turning the front shaft.

If you don't use it, you can't break it and it won't wear out as fast.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you want a full-time gear driven t-case why not just get a np205 and always run it in 4hi?

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    if you want a full-time gear driven t-case why not just get a np205 and always run it in 4hi?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming he doesn't because of the driveline bind on the street.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

install a np205 and never take it out of 4hi/4low.

j

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you can't drive it on dry pavement in 4WD. 203's have a differential inside the case that allows the front and rear driveshafts to rotate and different speeds. Without the diff in there, the truck will feel like someone is pushing the brake pedal when you turn a corner, due to massive driveline windup. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Sounds like one of the first questions is why does it have to be "full-time"???
    Part time will save on parts and gas.

I have a np203 in my rig and I hate it. After my new engine next month my next purchase is the part time kit.

12. speedup

The chain on my 203 pops when I apply more than ~70% throttle, so I assume /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif it is stretched. It's not the u-joints or drivelines and it gets worse in 4-lo.

As for why it has to be full-time, I just like it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The wear-and-tear and poor gas mileage does suck, but I like the handling characteristics of full-time
    (it has saved my tail many times).

Either way, my ultimate goal for my Blazer is a built big-block. How much torque can a 203 stand up to? Maybe I've underestimated the t-case?

13. jekbrown

my run-a-205-fulltime comment was a joke. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have to agree with the other guy tho... why would anyone want fulltime? thats for subarus and stuff...

j

14. speedup

heheh... You've got a point, but you can have my full-time case when you pry it from my cold, dead truck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. jekbrown

<holds up beer> ... heres to your rigs loooong life. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j