Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full time. Hafta Swith?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by possum, Jan 10, 2002.

1. possum

possum Registered Member

I like the idea of be able to just stay in my truck to switch into 4lo. If I go to bigger axels or whatever can I still keep this luxury and just switch the hubs or will they not work in something else? I'm not real knowledgable in the differentials/axels/gear areas, but I'm trying to learn. I just don't want to have to get out to switch to 4WD and lock in the hubs.

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

maybe you're into the wrong hobby. wait till you gotta get out to winch. that can be a bummer. but seriously, the manual locking hubs are much more dependable, and you can leave them locked all the time and just work the Xfer case. imho

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Actually, I run Manual hubs on my '76 which is still a full-time 203 case. This gives me more flexibility for bad roads or ice. You will have to run in a LOCK mode with the hubs unlocked or the front drive-shaft will spin and ya won't be going anywhere. Theoretically, the books say you can't do this without damage, but I've run this way for years. This gives me the same drive options as my Grand Cherokee's Selec-Track T-case. Two-wheel, Four-wheel on-road, Four-wheel lock HI or LO off-road.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i cant see any benefits from a 203, all its gonna do is give power to the one wheel that's easiest to spin. which will always have the least traction[​IMG]

5. Mr GearHead

Mr GearHead Registered Member

I have a '77 with a 203 that I put a part time kit in and I use automatic hubs from a later moder truck. I know what every one says about automatic hubs but I have not had any breakage problems. I run 33" tires and when I engage 4wd I am easy on the gas until the hubs lock in. I do carry the original hub gear with me just in case.

6. Ren

Ren Registered Member

Hey TorkDSR manual locking hubs are NOT!!!!! I repeat not more dependable than the stock 4 lbs steel gears that come in the front axle of a NP203 transfer cased vehicle. You will NEVER, EVER find any manual locking hub as strong as that piece of steel.

7. Ren

Ren Registered Member

Well, unless your vehicle came stock with a NP205 a NP203 is an upgrade due to it not having a slip yoke rear output like the shitty NP208's, plus its case is cast iron (you don't need no frigging skidplate) plus a NP203 can drive on pavement in LOW Range unlocked 4x4. (good for dragging idiots out of my parking spot). Plus you won't bust a piece of crap manual hub as I stated in my last post.

I really can't stand idiots who put part time kits in these cases, trying to get better mileage.

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You hafta realize Gearhead..a 203 has the front and rear driveshafts locked together when put in 4 HI-LOC or 4 LO-LOC, just like a 205.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

you gotta be kidding. i realize you stated your opinion, and now i will state mine: dependable, and strong are two completly different adjectives. when i cant get the God dam thing to go in or out of lock cause any one of six differnet pieces of technology in the auto hub broke, then it doesnt matter how strong it is now does it????
    maybe you are reffering to something else, but when you state that, then we can talk about that [​IMG]

and i can put my 205 on pavement in low, i just leave my front MANUAL hubs unlocked.

and is everyone that tries to squeeze more mileage out of their trucks an idiot? or just the ones that try to reduce rotational weight by putting the part time kit/manual hubs in a 203?