Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full time t-case question..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, May 1, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I replaced all my drive shaft u-joints a couple of months ago. Yes, front and rears were replaced. Now, I am hearing a noise that sounds exactly like a u-joint going bad. It is coming from the front drive shaft at what sounds like the #1 or 2 u-joint up at the t-case. I greased them all up, and the noise was still there. So I pulled the drive shaft out, locked in the t-case (pesky irritation of a full time t-case) so I could drive it, and the noise disappeared. I have been running it for a few days like that (since Sunday afternoon). I am replacing them tonight, but my question is, could I have damaged my t-case? It doesn't make any funny noises or shift hard, but is running it like that for short durations ok? I drive about 10 miles on the freeway to work and back, other than that, the rest has been local neighborhood stuff, nothing over 40 mph.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't think you've caused any damage. Driving it in Loc simply locks the differential inside the transfer case.

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I had the same noise on mine. What I found was that the ball and socket connector betweeen the CV joint had been pulled apart. There was about 1.5" of play when I had it off and in my hands. In makes a noise like the transfer case chain is over streched and rubbing on the insides of the case.

Try a junk yard for a good one and see if you can get the part new at a driveshaft shop or something.

I haven't replaced mine yet because I will need new shafts when I get a bigger lift.

I hope this helps and makes a little sense.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I replaced to u-joint last night and the noise is gone, but I think my driveline needs to be rebuilt. I could almost press the caps into the yokes by hand. The old ones came out w/out much effort, but then again, they were only 3 mos. old. Not too much time to get a lot of gunk to stick to.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

that's what happened to mine too. that ball in the middle of the cv just scattered.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, I now am carrying a 1/2" end wrench in the truck just in case it goes gonzo on me. At least that way I can pull over and yank it out in an emergency.