Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Time T-case Question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Oct 17, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Just finished installing np203 fulltime. Looking thru manual. Manual word for word states:
    Conventional Fourl Wheel drive-Add SAE 80 or SAE 90 GL-5 Lubricant to bring to level of filler plug hole.

Full Time Four Wheel Drive-Add engine oil to bring level 1/2" below filler plug hole
    SO. I am assuming the 2nd for full time 4x4. 20w-50 in the t-case 1/2 way up to the filler hole?
    ANYBODY know this for sure?
    Thanks
    James

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, go with option 2. You want motor oil in there. 10W 30 would be what I would put in there. Do not put gear oil or ATF in there. This was brought up not too long ago and yes, there were some people on this board that put gear oil in there, but your 203 will not last as long as it should if you put gear oil in there.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

3. James

James 1/2 ton status

Boss, Did you fill it half way to filler hole or all the way to filler hole?
    BTW My next project is new body mounts with a 1in. body lift. Checked your review. You went with ORD and ES? Will be bugging you in about 2 weeks when I plan on doing this project.
    Thanks
    James

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I always fill to the filler hole. I don't think it will harm anything if you do so. (note, I have the NP205) And for that it is said to fill till 1/2" to filler hole too, but I don't think it makes a difference.

No problem about buggin me on info for the 1" bodly lift and ES bodymount swap. Its very easy. I have tons of pics that I didn't post on my site b/c it didn't allow that many pics to be on the same screen. So if you need more pics and detailed info, I'll be glad to send them to you as you go along on your swap. Goodluck.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/mm-np203/
    Just in case you missed it, this site tells you about the NP203 and the type of oil to use in it and why not to use anything else. It also goes through the process of converting a NP203 to part time.

6. James

James 1/2 ton status

Wheels and Boss,
    Perfect. Thank you for all the info. Awesome web site you provide wheels.
    Thanks again
    James