Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full time to part time 4x4 hub converting question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad_bo_ti, Jun 25, 2000.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

What all is needed to convert a full time hub to part time, do i just need new hubs? please let me know asap.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about a full time transfer case or swapping out the automatic hubs? I saw in your bio you have an 84 so I assume you want to swap the autos for locking hubs. Just remove the old hubs and buy whatever brand of locking that you like. I Put Warn on my 83 about 7 years ago and I like them alot. Good luck

creepin and crawlin
    Jim

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

Ok sorry i didnt make myself clear, i have a 3/4 ton front 10 bolt axle that was in a fulltime 4x4 suburban, i want to switch it over to the part time(locking hubs) so it will work with my truck. what all do i need for this to be done right?

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

All you need then is to buy the hubs. Which ever you prefer. I run SuperWinch and couldnt be happier with them. Although everyone else seems to like Warn. I "had" a Fulltime 4wd 74 K5 and converted it to Part time with a Np205 tcase and manual locking hubs. They were easy to install, just remove the old ones, and install the new ones. Directions come with it.

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

6. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

After you put the manual hubs on, do you have to put the shifter into<font color=red> HI LOC<font color=black> or<font color=red> LO LOC<font color=black> or do you have to simply turn the hubs to lock? in other words wouldn't you be in 4wd when the shifter is in<font color=blue> HI<font color=black> with the hubs locked or is there a reason to put the shifter into<font color=red> HI LOC<font color=black>? I had always assumed that putting it in<font color=red> LOC<font color=black> actuated the automatic hubs(now that I don't have the automatic hubs do I still need<font color=red> LOC<font color=black>?)

<font color=red>LO LOC<font color=red>
    <font color=blue>LO<font color=blue>
    N
    HI
    <font color=red>HI LOC<font color=red>

<font color=black>Know what I mean Vern?

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

7. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status