Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full time to part time conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The-Buzz, Mar 13, 2000.

1. The-Buzz

The-Buzz Newbie

I have 76 Blazer(400cu in, TH400?, full-time 4x4) that I just bought and I am sure it has a part time 4x4 conversion kit made by a company called 'Hall RaceProducts'. i have never heard of this company. This is an old pamphlet with phone number that no longer exists. Any help here would be appreciated. Also, I believe the xfer case is NP203/ full time 4x4. Someone also put Warn hubs on it too. Is this co. still around? can i get parts somewhere else?
    What are some company names that make the conversion kits?
    Can I put in a NP205 manual 4spd and use the axles that go with it with cross member without any other cutting/welding?
    Are conversions hard on the transfer case?
    Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Ok, look at your pan on the tranny. Is it shaped like a square w/one corner cut off? If so, it's a TH350, if not it's a TH400. Look at the shift pattern on your transfer case. 4-Lock, 4-Low, N, 2-High, 2-Lock; it's a NP203(full-time unit, chain drive) if not, then NP205(part-time, gear drive). Warn is most definately still in business. They've been around since the 20's and will be around. One of the best 4x4 companies in my opinion. You can put a NP205 and manual in. It will cost alot and not gain you much. If the person that converted your rig still had the papers and used Warn hubs, I would say they did the job right and you don't have anything to worry about. The auto tranny people would saw you're nuts for wanting to change. I like manuals, but still wouldn't change your setup. It's very strong and should not give you any problems.
    Welcome to the world of K5. The only sane people around.

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have a Mile Marker part time converson kit in my NP 203. There are some drawbacks to adding a part time kit of the cheaper design. What I mean, is the kit with just wedged shaped gears that replace the spider gears on the output shaft. This kit is prone to breakage and possible added slop in the driveline. I have this kit, and I have not had any problems, yet (at least associated with the parts). I will probably be installing an NP 205 case someday for more reliability. Mile Marker also makes a kit that completely replaces the rear output shaft. This kit is nearly indestructable. The other limiting factor on an NP 203 is, it is chain drive. The chain can wear out and slip. I have had problems with my 203 slipping out of 4 wheel LO. This problem cost me a rear dif one time. I think if I would have had it still full time, I would not have broken the dif. It would have still pulled with the front tires. Good Luck

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>

4. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hey goose I think you might have the tcase pattern for the 203 mixed up.. I have it as 4hi loc, 4 hi, n, 4 lo , 4 lo loc

Maybe i am wrong but i think that's how mine is.

Zack

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Woops, I may have mixed up the shift pattern on the NP203. It's been about 3yrs since I've owned one. (Maybe I should have looked it up)..........

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

If you have access to a NP205 and manual (sm465) then I'd say go for that. I personally dont like the drawbacks of the 203. I'm sure its a rock solid case, but its also about twice the weight of the 205, its chain driven which stretches out after a while, and if you have the part time kit installed in it, you have to be bothered with maintaining it by driving around in 4hi for a while to lubricate it properly. I made the swap to the NP205 and I couldnt be happier. My goals were dependability, longevity, and easy maintenance. Not to mention my 203 had a problem of popping out of 4low on me. So in short, I'd say go for it on the swap to the 205. Hope this helps

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Ya right NP203 about 110-120lbs.
    ........... np205 about 90-80 lbs.
    Its heavy no da
    Please do some math were do you come up with all most twice(2) as heavy.
    Please state some FACTS

8. Waxer

Dont need any math. I could tell simply by lifting the 203 up and off of the jack as opposed to lifting the 205 up and off of the jack. Have you tried lifting the two? Or are you just reading out of some manual? I just did the 203 to 205 swap so I'm speaking on experience.......Only 20 to 40 lbs difference between the two eh? I guess thats why 2 grown men strained on the 203 and didnt think twice on the 205....hmmmm.....Get your facts straight buddy, this board is here for us to share our experiences. Not cutting people down for it

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

yeah really man! take it easy! he was close enough! and you know what? lifting a t case that is only 30-40 lbs heavier can really feel like it is 2x heavier, and most people will agree! so take it easy and just be happy like the rest of us guys! [​IMG]

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!! no matter how heavy!

10. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I've seen the NP203 listed as 165lbs. When I pulled the 350 engine out of my K5 the TH350 actually raised up in front from the weight of the NP203. The same listing shows the NP205 as 138 lbs. This is from the Four Wheeler magazine web page so take it for what it's worth.

11. Waxer

Those numbers are correct. I called Stephen Watson at ORD and he said the same. I sure tell you though, it sure FELT like it was twice the weight. It sure was ALOT easier to put the 205 back on as opposed to the 203. I had reinstalled the 203 twice, once for tranny rebuild and once for its own rebuild. Anyways, I was wrong but you didnt have to slap me in the face for it "executioner".....

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    It takes a man to admit he is wrong
    sorry that your read my post as you did, it was not ment to put you down

I am still reserching and gathering FACTS from the 70's, will you please help me
    verify thoese numbers of 165., and 125

Please don't tell me to call, e-mail offroaddesigns
    tell me where I can acseess the data in writing.
    Thanks alot

13. Waxer

To be honest, I dont know where to get the info....except from the dealer maybe in a shop manual. Otherwise I havent the slightest.