Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Time to Part Time Dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mnstr_fx, Oct 19, 2001.

1. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I have a 77' K30 Dana 60 which was originally a full time axle, (no hubs). I went to install a set of Pro Comp's yesterday and noticed that there is no place to install the retaining snap ring. It also appears that the wheel depth for where the hub slides in is just deep enough for the inner and outer portion of the hub. If I tried to install the retaining ring, then the outer portion of the hub sticks out the thickness of the retaining ring.

Anybody else swapped an original full time Dana 60 over to part time? My 80' K30 truck has a part time Dana 60 front axle and it works great. I think that there is something with the wheel assembly or the 77' model year.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't believe the snap ring is required.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. Stax

Stax Newbie

You will have to get the hub machined to accept the ring. There should be enough splines in the hub to accept the locking hub portion (the outer).

If you don't use the retaining ring, then you will be relying only on the axle snap ring to keep the hub on there. Not a good idea, and too much extra load on the ring, plus extra slop in the assembly. ;)