Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full time to part time hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Aug 10, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Anyone converted their full time hubs to part time. Have 73k5 full time. Been told this would save gas and wear on parts. Just want to know how easy/hard it is to do. I'm assuming Warn would be the best brand?
    Peace
    James

2. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

The hubs themselves are easy to change. I use mile marker in my 75 and wolverine in my 78. If you do this you want to get the transfer case swapped to manual too. Most 4x4 shops have the kit to do this. Its really not that hard to do either. Most kits come with somewhat off a explaination on how to do it. A chiltons couldnt hurt either. Yes it will save a little on gas..but its a lot less wear and tear on your frone drivetrain if you drive on the road alot. Good Luck

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have sticked with my full-time 4x4 because from what I've read, you won't improve your mileage that much, and you'd lose the benefits of full-time 4x4, which I really like: Real 4x4 from your seat, and better handling.

Remember, you have to spend on hubs & part time kit. I really don't know if they'll pay off by themselves that fast to make it worth it.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 79 is converted and while I have seen an improvment in tire wear it gets close to the same MPG as my unconverted 75. The 79 with the old tired engine was getting about 10-11 on 3.73 gears. the 75 gets the same on 3.08 gears.
    Loved the full time over the winter!
    Yeah it does lighten up the steering and yes on the hwy the 79 feels better but the converted cases if not maintain will develop problems. I had to replace the tail shaft bearing and the cheap Superwinch (was wolverine now SW) part time kit with a Mile marker kit since the previous owners did not keep up with the "put in loc on a regular bassis" maintance.
    If you really want to do it right Mile marker sells 2 kits. one is the inexpensive on that has some tabs to lock out the center diff and the better kit replace the whole ouput shaft. If your in the SE try http://www.southerngear.com They have always given me great prices and tip for transfer case parts.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. James

James 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys,
    Being that I only put about 8000 mile per year on my truck. I think I might reconsider throwing that money towards another area at this time. Suspension lift(hehehe).
    Peace
    James

6. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I had mine changed, it cost about $120 I think to get it done. I get a little better milage.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Unless you're going to put in a front locker, just stick with the full-time set-up.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350