Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"full time" transfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Jul 27, 2003.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

\"full time\" transfer case

Ok I have been doing some reading and want to clarify if I'm understanding how a NP203 full time T case works. First the hubs are always locked and turning regardless of the T case position. Now the T case has 5 positions hi loc, lo loc, neutral, hi and lo...now in hi loc and lo loc it acts just like any normal transfer case in that both front and rear axles get power regardless of slip.

Now this is where I get confused...in the normal hi and lo range the T case acts like an open differential distributing power to both front and rear axle equally. But if one axle spins faster that axle gets more power just like an open diff? So in "normal" 4wd you are no better off than a part time 4wd rig running in 2wd? Am I corrct or is there something I'm missing?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: \"full time\" transfer case

Well if you get in some real snt then yess ALL power can be sent to wheel with the least slip. Now there is some mechanical advantage to try to drive the rear axle by the way the Diff in the case is set up. In practice it does work much better on dirt roads, snow etc. It's effective on pavement as well. a Full time truck can out corner a parttime truck. Plant your foot on the accelerator and the front will pull around the corner. My truck was fulltime before I installed the front locker. I have terrified more then a few punks in hondas by them thinking they were suckering me into a curve and I'd be right there with them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Ahh I see. I have a NP203 and am considering converting it to part time. Just trying to weigh the benefits. It will be used for crawling and some daily driver including towing a 26' camper a few hundred miles so a few extra MPG would be a bonus. I really like the idea of having a low range 2wd gear for the times I need slow pulling power around turns and there is too much traction for 4wd. Will I see much from a part time conversion any of you that have done it? I have read the article here but am looking for other opinions.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've debated converting my NP-203 to part time, but I think I'll end up getting a NP-205 for piece of mind. Plus if I ever want to go doubler, I'll have most of what I'll need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If you convert to part-time, couldn't you stil run in 4 hi with the same results that you were getting from it as a full-time case? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

A fulltime case in 4hi does not lock the front and rear driveshafts together. If you disconnected the front shaft in 4hi on a fulltime case you will go nowhere. If I part time the NP203 I will get 4hi, 4lo, 2hi, and 2lo plus neutral for transfer case selection.

A part time kit mainly gives the advantage of being able to unlock your front hubs and only turn the rear driveshaft eliminating rotating mass and power bleed while giving access to a 2wd lo setting which can come in handy. But the part time case allows slippage between front and rear shafts while in 4hi so you have 4wd all the time. you can use hi loc and lo loc to lock the shafts together. I guess it's a toss up either way.