Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full time verses not full time . . . what do I need to do??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ratchetmaster, Apr 15, 2003.

1. ratchetmaster

ratchetmaster Registered Member

I have a 78 chevy full time 4X4. my trans went out a few weeks ago.

it has a turbo 350 with a 203 case. It is completely stock.

I just bought a used transfer case and trans for $100. They seem to be in good shape.

Here is the problem . . . it came out of a truck that had 3/4 ton axles (i think) and had hubs on the front axle that you lock or unlock.

Had this one already been converted to non-full time setup??

How can I tell?? What exactly had to be done to convert it?

What if I didn't change the hubs on my truck and used the case converted over already on it???

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1. There is no proof that simply because someone put hubs on the front of that truck that they converted the transfer case to part time, but it is possible.

2. Internal parts are changed to make it part time. Put it in hi and see if the front shaft output turns when you turn the input or rear shaft output. If it doesn't, put it in hi-lock and it should.

3. If you don't put hubs on your truck and you use a converted case, your front driveshaft and axle shafts will still spin, but they will not be driven by the transfer case. It will be just like driving a part-time truck around with the hubs locked in all the time and the transfer case in 2wd. It will not help or hurt anything, other than that you probably won't see a fuel mileage increase, which was the reason for converting to part-time in the first place.

3. ratchetmaster

Thanks for the info and reply.

[ QUOTE ]
    2. Internal parts are changed to make it part time. Put it in hi and see if the front shaft output turns when you turn the input or rear shaft output. If it doesn't, put it in hi-lock and it should.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok . . . I did this . . . the front output turns in loc (all the way back with the shifter) but does not in one spot to the front if I hold it . . . does that mean that it has been converted??

Are the "hubs" I need the ones they sell for like 50 bucks at the parts store?? Are they pretty easy to install??

thanks

4. ratchetmaster

ttt
    a little more help please.

thnks