Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Time vs. Part Time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by firemanparamedic, Oct 2, 2006.

1. firemanparamedic

firemanparamedic Registered Member

Hey guys pretty new to this area and looking into getting my first truck. I was just wondering what are the benefits/disadvantages of having a full-time 4wd truck w/locking hubs, and a part time 4wd truck. Is the gas mileage outrageously different? The truck Im looking into is full-time 4wd and the owner says with the hubs locked he gets ~12mpg...Im kinda doubtful. He says the front and back are both danas.Thanks

firemanparamedic

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Just so we all are on the same page:
    Full time 4wd does NOT have locking hubs, part time DOES.
    A part time could get 13 MPG easy if you don't have a lead foot.
    The full time that I had was not getting better than 11 but that was with bigger tires and lots of city driving and mountain driving no highway, I believe you could squeeze 12MPG out of that one.
    I like the full time for a snow/ rain Daily drivers.
    For off road use a part time is better.

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Some of the older full time trucks I've seen have been converted to part time/manual hubs. One neighbor I have gets about 8mpg w/ 33s, damn thing is a real pig of course it's a 79 ford bronco.
    What year is the truck? the newer (80s) w/ automatic hubs look similar to the full time trucks because they have no selector on the hub. This happens a lot. Give us more on the truck your buying.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Ditch or convert full time T-case to part time. For the later ones, ditch the automatic hubs for select.:D