Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full top conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by patches85, Apr 24, 2005.

1. patches85

patches85 Registered Member

:confused: Hey guys I just scored a 74 blazer for 50 bucks. It's scrap but I just want the rears and the top and the window pillar. I have a bunch of questions though. How hard is this to do , I am a pretty good fabricator and have access to al the tools I need , are there year specific doors or do I just modify the doors I have , do I have to strengthen the bed sides in the front of my 85. Maybe my question was a little vague I want to make my 85 a full convertible. Has anyone done this and what problems will I encounter? Any pics and input would be great. Thanx

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Search, there was a thread on this topic a few days ago...

3. patches85

I did search but there was not enough info for me

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

here are a few...
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136058&highlight=convertible+conversion
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113044&highlight=convertible+conversion
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95370&highlight=convertible+conversion
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93681&highlight=convertible+conversion

For the doors, you can use some off of the 1st gen k5's that already had a rull top..or you can hack yours, which of course will be more work. Bedsides should be okay, but you will have to add a rollcage or something to strengthen the front around the windsheild, it will sag since it doesn't have the rest of the roof supporting it.

5. patches85

Thanx a ton man!!! I didn't find those searches.My next problem is the hardware for the doors. The donor has cut 76 up doors on it with nothing done to them. The body on the donor is scrap. I can,t complain though Im getting the rears and transfer case too for 50 bucks, also a good windshield. Also found another top for free just have to pick it up .

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Doors from a 1st Gen won't fit a '74. :eek1:

But doors from '73-87 pickups, '73-'91 K5's (or the front doors from Suburbans) will work. The factory doors on the '74 were just cut versions of the pickup doors. :cool1:

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks for correcting me. :)

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The 73-75 doors for blazer/jimmy have re-inforcments in the rear by the door handle to compesate for the lack of window frame. These ones I cut out of my old original doors welded in my new ones, which had to be cut for the 73-75 style.
    Without these, when you go to pull the outside door handle, the door is really flimsy.

Like [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. patches85

Where can I get those?

11. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If your new 74 has doors, you have them, you jus tneed to carfully cut them out. That is if you plan on replacing the doors.
    Otherwise, it's a fab job...