Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full top weatherstrip question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fry, May 23, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Who has weatherstrip on where thier top meets the windshield frame? And where the top meets the quaters?
    Mine does not have any weatherstripping at those two places and since I am planning on doing a "freshing up" of the blazer I am buying new weatherstripping and am wondering if its normal? Currently it doesn't leak from there but looks like it might have in the past.
    Is yours mounted on the body or the top?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

From the factory they came with weatherstripping all the way around. On the sides it is attached to the bottom edge of the topper. On the front it is attached to the topper also. Order a catalog from www.lmctruck.com It has some great cutaway views of our rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But be sitting down when you look at the prices of replacement weatherstrip! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

yeah I have the catalog. Thats how I knew I was missing some. Strange that it doesn't leak wind or rain through either.
    Your right it isn't cheap and I think just about all my weather strip is original & badly weathered in the truck right now.
    Another question, when replacing doors, if I choose to I guess the only option is to get later model doors and /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif right? One side of my truck right now is original 75 and the other is some 80s truck and the gap is too big where the cut to short.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The doors for a 73-75 Blazer are the same as the full doors. GM just cut the window frame off the full door, just like you would need to do.
    There are a few places you can get the weatherstripping parts from. I got mine at Cheyenne Pickup Parts and Golden State Pickups (doesn't look like they carry them any more). You can also get them from Chevy Duty .

The 8 pieces that you need from Chevy Duty are here and here :
    Header seal inner part #01-811
    Header seal outet #01-812
    Hard top to quarter panel (left & right) #01-815
    Door glass to hard top (left & right) #01825
    Door to body seal (use one from 76-91 and cut to fit)

You may also need the upper and lower door caps. The upper door caps should be made out of rubber. The lower door caps that I have found are made out of plastic instead of fiberglass which the originals were made out of.

5. HarryH3

Yep, you just cut down the late model door of your choice. I have an '88 door and a '91 door about to go under the knife... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Remove the screws from the lower cover plate and you'll see an extra metal strip welded inside the hole. You have to install a piece like that in the later doors, to have somewhere to screw the cover plate to.

6. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

yeah I don't have that screw on piece on the one door. This also causes the window guide to go crooked when rolling up the window. I think I have a way figured out to fix that problem though and then just silicone the door caps on the new door. maybe /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. HarryH3

Put up a post in the parts wanted forum. You might find someone that's junking some 73-75 doors that still have the plates intact. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

shipping would probably kill me and I don't think any other canadians have full converts on here.
    I'll be able to figure it out I'm sure

9. HarryH3

Sorry if I wasn't clear... I meant to get ONLY the top plates that are missing from your doors. Shipping complete doors would be a total PITA. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

oh, sorry about that. I have and extra set of door tops somewhere but not the spot where they bolt into. Is that what your talking about?

11. HarryH3

Aha, when you said that one door was missing the cover plate, I thought that you needed to get one... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

oops sorry about the confusion. I have the plate just nothing to bolt it to, no big deal though sure I can figure something out.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You will need 2 different seals that mount to the body on the top of the winsheild frame. I have more $700 worth of new seals between the body and top. FWIW, Mine still leaks a tad at the top corners of the doors because I still need to replace the top caps. I spent a lot of time redoing the seals on mine. Drop me a note if you want any info.