Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full toppers.....please advise.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74beater, Jun 12, 2003.

1. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

what would happen if cut the metal from under the floor on the outside of the frame...i'am planing on cutting out the rockers and installing some sliders and a cages..
    any help would be helpful....

all hail the almighty sawzall /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Rocker Boxes

Those are called rocker boxes. They help add stiffness to the body when you take the top off. If you have the body stiffened in another way (intigrated rock sliders cage to the body etc.) they realy arn't needed as much.

If they are not rotted to hell try and save them when you cut them off. I know you can't buy them for a 1st gen and I would assume the same for a 2nd gen. You might be able to sell them to someone.

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

When I bought my rock sliders I hacked mine off, I strongy recomend fabbing up some sort of cross member supports where the boxes use to be, also that is some thick metal and the way it is welded does not make them easy to remove if you want to save them. The design is incorperated into the body mount as well.

Bottom line, they need to be removed to do rock sliders, if you are removing them come up with some thing and include pic's so I don't have to exersise my brain /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't have any immidiate plans for fixing mine though...I just got a cage /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Actually they don't need to be removed to do rocksliders. You simply cut out your old rockers and weld in rectangular tubing. The boxes will still be there after you're done.

I will have pics up soon to show this...

Steven

5. supersize75

It looks like or I assumed that he was talking about a bolt on rock slider, he didn't mention cutting up his rockers so I figured he wasn't talking about those type. I have the toybox off road rock sliders and the bolt to the body the the design is scetchy to me so I want to fab up my own support from the frame to the rock slider and incorperate a body mount or some type of poly spacer to reduce the vibration into the cab.
    My current problem is that the area I want to do it to affects my t-case mount and I am shopping for a 205 to replace the 203 so I dont want to be adding more holes in the frame when I already added some when I moved the 203 when I added the 396 and t-400.

I guess I will just have to wait. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

super.. no bolt on sliders.....i can build you a bumper like waxer's...these will be welded to the frame at six points on each side..

waxer...please advise on the just cut out the rocker...i want the boxes gone. my grinder is calling my name....
    it says "use me"

all hail the almighty sawzall

7. supersize75

The easy way I found was to make a cut going horazontal by the body mount first, use the hole that has a plug in it to start and use a sawzaw. Then just slice as close to the rocker box as you want, it should breack free with a crow bar as you go along. I would leave 1/2 inch or so near the rocker panel though so it is more rigid, then fill the rocker panel with exspanding foam because you will loose some suport/ rigidness there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

On my '73 I removed the rocker panel and the floor back 3 1/2 inches inboard of the outboard edge of the rocker box. I then took 4x4x3/16 square tube and welded it into the opening.
    At the front where the rocker box on a '73-'75 kicks up for the body mount I cut a wedge out of the inboard side of the tube, beat it w/ a sledge hammer untill it closed back up and welded it back together. I cut the aft end at a 45* angle to match the the rocker box. The whole area is now filled in and the floor is much stronger now. I don't run a normal door so my truck is much narrower in the middle now.
    Make sense?

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have 4x4 Iron's rock sliders. They added very noticeable stiffness to my body. I still have body flex, but not nearly as much as before.

11. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

thanks guys

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just an intresting little tid-bit my '73 is now just under 67" wide at the rockers. Compare that to about 85" wide w/ doors on. If you had sliders to protect that you be more than a foot & and 1/2 wider.