Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Windows?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

who makes a full window setup for 86 style trucks? instead of a vent window.?

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

you mean like a solid rear window instead of the slider? man i want a slider! ill trade ya if thats what you want!? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    who makes a full window setup for 86 style trucks? instead of a vent window.?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do you mean 1 piece door glass. Where it takes the place of the D/G and vent glass? Noone I know of. I have looked everywhere. The closest I have come is to having some made, but the cost doesn't justify it.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ohh..hmm yea if thats what ur talkin about ive never seen that

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing pics in "Truckin" magazine (during my teenaged I-wanna-build-a-lowrider-pickup days - thank goodness that's behind me!) of guys who had that done to their '78-87 trucks. Looked pretty cool, kinda subtle too. I was about to say it seems like it would be easy, but then I started thinking about window tracks and how you'd get the front edge of the window to seal properly. Add the cost of figuring those issues out to the cost of having glass custom-cut, and it probably starts getting expen$ive...

But if you really wanted it done, a good bodyshop that does custom work could do it. Or you could check out a copy of "Truckin" or "Sport Truck" magazine and check the vendors section in the back. Maybe someone actually sells a kit to do it now.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

67-72 EARLY CLASSIC INTERPRISES
    But for 73-87 might have to be custom but really how much work could it be? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm pretty sure they did on the show trucks. someone makes the kit,and it looked cool. try their web site /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't do it. Look at the newer doors, they've got a bolted in door brace right there where a window would go up and down.

Don't know what that brace does, but you can guarantee it stops the door from cracking *somewhere*, or it wouldn't be there.

Would be nice to have a full window instead of the vent, but I'd not risk the door cracking for it.

9. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

you can have a set made but its not cheap. The factory windows are curved the only thing you can have made are flat ones and bow them in there.

10. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Its called a california style window and popular with the 60's vw's. Try www.godfathercustoms.com I think I saw something like on their page. The lowered trucking mags always have stuff like that for customizing.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i like my vent windows, my new truck doesn't have them or the little water deflecter on top. dad gum areodynamics. in the cooler weather i still like air moving,the vent window also clears the windshield. with out turning on the defroster.with out the little gutter on the sides of the roof the water pours in. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

The brace can be taken out. From what I can see it's only purpose is to reinforce the mirror. If the brace isn't there then when the mirror hits something it may cave the door in, or do it easier anyway.