Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fullsize Long-Bed on the Rubicon?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IronMan, Mar 21, 2003.

1. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

Has anyone seen/ran a fullsize longbed pickup over the rubicon? I'm going to Tahoe in June and would love to run it with my 83' K30. Look at my sig for info on the truck... I locked with detroit/ARB. Hopefully I will have rocker protection by then. I would like to open the door at the end of the day - not crawl out the window /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I am going in the summer, I have never done it before but I really want to so..... I am getting rid of the side tanks and putting a fuel cell in the bed, but I guess you know that, that's a must. I would'nt go with out rocker protection either. Also where in the bay area do you live. I am in Woodside (Redwood City) maybe we can meet up sometime or something. Later
    -fLeXy K20

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Willyswanter is planning on taking this beast on it later this year /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif - </font>

[​IMG]

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If a Jeep Liberty can make it through the Rubicon, pretty much anything can do it...

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    If a Jeep Liberty can make it through the Rubicon, pretty much anything can do it...

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't seen the Rubicon have you. It's not that easy to say if a Jeep can make anybody could..

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You haven't seen a Liberty have you? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine made it through in his long bed. He didn't have sliders so his truck now looks like its been t-boned on both sides by a Civic /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You should be able to make it but expect some body damage.

8. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I live in Santa Cruz. I have talked to a few people, they say its the width you have to worry about. I think if you run something like all pro's rock sliders, you should be ok with your tanks. They mount to the frame and run under the tanks. Everything will be plated.... ONLY one way to find out if it will make it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I welcome anyone else from the bay area who wants to go. Or go to hollister. I also have a jeep cj5, and soon a 85' toyota 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

I also have a fullsize truck and want to run the con. I would be up for a trip! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

It's been done before, I remember reading about it in one of the FWD mags years ago. Tore the hail out of the truck too. If I remember correctly, the truck had 1 ton running gear &amp; 40's. The drivetrain survived, but it needed a new body afterwords. The rocker pannels had been bent up so far the guy couldn't even get his doors opened, not to mention other assorted dents and scrapes. However that was before they applied several large sticks of dynomite to the tougher sections of the trail. If you've got the ground clearance, lockers, the gears, and take your time you should make it.....hopefully without any damage.

11. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

With that much wheelbase you better have some GREAT rocker guards and alot of time. The tight turns will give you head aches but with the long wheelbase you will walk through some things that hang up the jeeps.

12. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You haven't seen a Liberty have you? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and you havent seen the con have you? ignorance is bliss i guess.......

i wouldnt sweat runnin the con if you have a 1 ton with good rocker protection, everything is in good working condition, and run it on an off weekend. look me up when your ready to go up there........ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

hey give me a few more months and i will run it with you!! we could make a long bed club and get our own hats and stickers!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but seriosly i am giveing it a lot of consideration. and it would be cool to go with another long bed if i do it. can you imagin the looks on the jeepers faces when they see 2 long beds rolling down the trail? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I live in Santa Cruz... I welcome anyone else from the bay area who wants to go. Or go to hollister.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure you have seen this site (?) Nor Cal Big Dawgs 4x4 Club

We are planning trips to the Hammers, the Rubicon, and Hollister Hills this summer. Might be worth a look...

15. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I think it would be cool to see some fullsize trucks running the rubicon /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif We should plan something out, as i said i am already planning to go around mid june.

Also I would like to join the big dawg's. But havent been sure on how to go about it. Any info would be appreciated Zakk.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ignorance is bliss i guess.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Genius, see this little guy: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, it means "I'm joking." Everyone else already knows it but since you own a Dodge, I can see how your judgement is impaired... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ignorance is bliss i guess.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Genius, see this little guy: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, it means "I'm joking." Everyone else already knows it but since you own a Dodge, I can see how your judgement is impaired... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif MOPAR Mostly Old Parts And Rust..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

We had a fullsize run last year, some of us from So Cal and mostly Nor Cal Big Dawgs...all K5s, short bed truck and a Jeep...the Con is pretty difficult for a fullsize vehicle. It's basically a matter of width and length, not so much that we can't make it over the rocks...with my Detroit rear and ARB front, I had no trouble getting up and over obstacles...teh trouble was just physically fitting in between the many trees and tight rocks. My other major problem was that my power steering line blew up about three miles in, so had to turn around and limp back out with no power steering...that's when I suffered lots of body damage and scrapes...

I would not attempt to run the 'Con without good rocker protection (if you like your truck at all!) It seemed like I was constantly sliding over rocks with them all day long...without them, it would have been hell. Yeah, I did have 35s back then, but even with my 38.5s now, I'd still imagine I would need the sliders a lot.

The other thing you may want to keep in mind is try to go during the week, especially if you run this with a really long and big truck...the trail backs up quickly on the weekend and you'll get lots of angry folks behind you if you're creating a roadblock. Yes, we are all entitled to run the trail (some Jeepers we ran into thought otherwise), but you need to realize that most fullsizes will take a bit longer than a little Jeep to run it...just be prepared for a lot of turning and backing up, and the inevitable body damage...