Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fullsize spare or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jul 12, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am currently running 36" PJ's. Can I have a 35" tire as my spare or does it have to be a 36"? I was talking to the local tire store guys and they said that I couldn't even run a 35" tire because there would be different amounts of revolutions between the two sizes. I can understand what he is talking about, but is 1-2" of tire size really that big of a concern?

The only concern I have is having a flat on the highway and having to drive it a good distance to get it fixed.

Thanks
    Ross

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If your diffs are open that can work on a temporary basis.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if u have a detroit yur jus gonna love it. of course if its in a 14bff u can just remove one shaft (if u have a detroit and a cap to keep fluid from dumpin out the end) and drive home that way.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Or if you do get a rear flat, you could just take a front tire, put it on the back, take the spare and put it on the front.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Im a believer in running a same size spare.Ive cut 2 sidewalls in 2 weeks,both on the first day of 3 and 4 day trips.It would be annoying to wheel for any legnth of time offroad with one different size tire.Iv heard PJs run closer to the size listed on the side wall and Iv seen that most 35s made run small,like under 34".That dont sound like a fun ride /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Any spare is better than nothing to git you home or off the trail /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you are locked then yes you have to have the same size spare if your difs are open you can have a smaller spare /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah I measure my PJ's and they do measure a true 36" tire, actually, just a lil bit taller. I was thinking a 36x12.5x15 TSL radial, because they appear to be a narrower tire for being 12.5" wide and I would be putting it on a 8" rim. Trying to keep the weight down also. However my dad has these tires and they only measure about 35", maybe smaller if I find a used one like I'm hoping. Ohh and I have open difs.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Trying to keep the weight down also.....

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That's a funny one... Seriously, what do you think you will save weightwise between a 35" and a 36"? I'll bet your truck is already at 5500Lbs, saving 10 Lbs at this point isn't going to mean much.

My vote is to suck it up, and buy a matching spare...if you actually DO get a flat, you are going to be a lot happier having a CORRECT tire to swap on there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's a funny one... Seriously, what do you think you will save weightwise between a 35" and a 36"? I'll bet your truck is already at 5500Lbs, saving 10 Lbs at this point isn't going to mean much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well originally I was just going to keep the 31" and limp to the nearest place to get the 36" fixed, but then I thought about the posible road-trips I might drive on and that started to seem like a bad idea. So originally I was trying to keep the weight down by keeping the 31" tire instead of getting a fullsize spare.