Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fully hydraulic steering without using an orbital valve

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Feb 12, 2006.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So... how does one go about doing full hydraulic steering without using an orbital valve... and preferably using electric over hydraulic? I want to keep the valve in the framerail and be able to put the switch anywhere I want to in the cab. The cheaper the better and it needs to have open center.

There are tons of people that do it but no one has spilled the beans (or they buy an entire kit from somebody).

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

3. CyberSniper

Since Christmas I have seen at least one dozen buildup threads using electric over hydraulic steering. About half of them seem to be using somebody's kit in one way or another.

Heck, here is one thread updated this morning:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419773

Using a plain-jane spool valve would be easy but it'd mean either cutting a hole in the floor for the stick to go through or having hydraulic lines in the cab with me... neither of which I really want to do.

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have full hydro on the K5. But I have a orbital valve type setup.
    Why do you not want a orbital valve? I will try and help you along the way if
    I can. just kinda lost on the no orbital valve setup:o

5. CyberSniper

I'm keeping the steering gear and running assist in the front. The full hydro is going in the rear and I want the controls to be completely independent... and running off different power steering pumps.

A $400 T-handle orbital would be pretty cool... point the handle in the direction you want to go... but that doesn't keep the hydraulic lines safely tucked in the framerail nor does it let me put the controls anywhere I want. Not to mention a $100 spool valve will do the same thing.