Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fully Removeable Top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, May 24, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

I am at a crossroads...i own a very very sharp k5...but i want a fully removeable top for the life of me. Im sorry if thats like wanting a woman with big *its that can cook, but im going to be picky anyway.

how hard is the conversion...what do i ask the body shop guy...if i found the parts could anyone here help me do it over a weekend? ect...im searching on this at the moment but would appreciate any new input

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

half cabs rule! nothing like wheelin topless in the pouring rain or snow and not getting wet while u drive! w00t! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif whateva u do, dont chop that 2nd gen!!!!

j

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i have carpet and a backseat full of speakers

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i have carpet and a backseat full of speakers

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

then its time to go to something more like...

my rigs bed

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I really dont see the point of carpet in a rig... maybe if u have kids < than 5 years old or something. Otherwise carpet kinda sucks. It stains, it holds water and causes rust, its not very durable, and after years of use it looks like poop too. The rear area of my rig is 100% water proof. I can have the top off any time of year and its np. I can hose out my interior when it gets dirty too. I'll tell ya, after u hose out ur interior just one time after years of cleaning carpet, you never wanna go back! It would make even more sense to do that kinda interior if you plan on going full convertable... especially since it will prolly leak unless its very VERY well done ($$$$$$$$$$!)....

j

6. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

why not just find a first generation and make that your hobby project? Keep the 2nd gen as a daily driver at least until you get the other finished.

7. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

just chop it add a soft top, or maybe u could rig a 73-75 top on it

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

It's not as easy as chop and add. The 73-75 have added support underneath to keep the windshield frame/firewall from caving in towards the driver. Look at one that's for sale some time. If you don't reinforce the cab before you start chopping things may not line up correctly and over time the doors won't line up and shut right. Reinforce the cab either by bracing the cab from underneath like on the 73-75 or preferably by installing a full roll cage and welding the cage to the windshield frame by using tabs.

What you need to do is gather up all the parts ahead of time of course. This includes the weatherstripping (6 pieces I think), the upper and lower door caps, the windshield frame from a 73-75 cut about halfway up the posts, and of course the hard top. Try getting a top that's got the overlapping seams on the outside since these are less prone to cracking. These were made only in 75. Get the sawzall out and whack of the major portion of the cab, about two inches above the bedrails and two inches above the midpoint of the windshield posts. Then go back and cut these 4 posts off at the proper point. Weld a patch in to cover the hole where the posts use to be on the bed rails. For the windshield frame put a foot long piece of square stock half way into the post and weld it into place. Slide the full convert. windshield frame over the square stock and weld it into place. Chop the doors off at the appropriate place. You'll need to weld a small piece of plate into the hole to screw the lower door cap into. Hopefully, if you got all your angles correct everything should line up.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If your talented, you can do it. I did it with mine. It's really a 87 tub. I did put a roll cage in it though. The only "minor" problems would be seat belts. After 76, they had and required shoulder restraints. When the top comes off, so do the shoulder belts. I don't know what your local laws are, but you may have to find a 73-75 registration. We sectioned the firewall, rolled the top of the rear 1/4's and chopped the doors. I always wanted a off truck, but nothing but rust on anything that old up here!