Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fully topless 73?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    is there such a thing? I found a K5 that the guy wants 1900 for, I think he said that its a 73... but its a fully topless. Also, where should I look for rust, the drivers and passengers floorboards are solid, so is the rear tailpan and tailgate... just some rust above the wheel wells. I think that for 1900 bucks with a 465 and a 205 this truck is a pretty good deal. It has a freshly rebuilt 305 (who rebuilds a 305????) in it, but it comes with everything but rods and pistons to make a 350. Also, does anybody have any pictures of the 1st generation doors?

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Fully topless trucks go all the way to 1975. 1976 started the partial top blazers. 1973 is the second Gen truck I think - Square fenderwells.

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks. I thought that it had 2nd generation styling because the wheel wells weren't right... but the top was fully topless... I was mega-confused.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if its 73 yea its going to have the more flat style hood..unlike the newer 80's were it slops down more.. check the tailpan for rust..and the rear floor..this part is always the worst..and check the rockers to..

Bryan

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know about checking those areas... that's the beauty part of this truck. Somebody who owned it before the guy who owns it now went through the trouble of replacing all of the tailpans and floorpans and the tailgate. There isn't any carpet or anything inside of it, so there isn't anywhere for rust to hide... my search has finally come to an end... I finally found my blazer, and it turned out to be a 73 with a sm465 and a np205 only crappy thing is it has a 305 in it... but it comes with a $hit ton of 350 parts!

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

'73s are fun.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    only crappy thing is it has a 305 in it...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Those motors can be built... But price per horse is higher than bigger displacement engines (383 seems to be the best value for the price in my opinion).

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Exactly why are 73's fun... and don't just say "because I have one" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My friend has a '72. Really nice truck. He doesn't wheel it though. If he dents his rockers or scratches it up, he gets pretty up$et.

When I dent or scratch my '73 up, the part$ are much cheaper than his. For this reason alone, I like my truck more. It is cheaper and more fun to beat on. If I had a '72, I don't think I would treat it like a truck. I would treat it more like my car. Treating an off-road truck like an offroad truck is more fun to me.

It seems the aftermarket parts are more readily available to the 2nd gens. My fenders are only $59 his are $189.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the bad front view. His '72 with the "curved edge" hood gives a better view when you're trying to go over a rock.

Have FUN!

10. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

That is one good thing about that truck, 2nd generation. 2nd generation trucks were produced A LOT longer than 1st generation... cheaper parts that are easier to find, I plan on wheeling the wee out of this truck, and when I break the axles I'm gonna park it and hunt for 1 tons. I have a quick question for you TopOff... what year trucks are interchangable with 73? Isn't it like 73-80?

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

sounds cool!! yea..73-80 have the same body panals..i think the 80 grill might be slightly different..or the lights..but other than that they are the same body style..81 they went to the more sloped hood and front clip. yea and you should rhino line ur floor thats the way im going to do soon as i fix MY floor haha..carpet and mats and all that just seem to help rot it out..i peeled back the carpet in my 85 parts blazer the other day and there was water and all kinds of [censored] hidden under there..just eating away at the floor...

Bryan

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I believe so. Maybe later. Every once in a while there is a conversation about getting a 89-91 front clip... so maybe the body parts are interchangeable up to that year too... not sure.

Right now, I will be happy with having the same paint color up and down my truck... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Hey TopOff, do you have any pictures of your blazer? All I can find in your webshots is pictures of your hydro conversion and the RC car. There are a few pictures with the K5 in it, but I need more than that /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Someday I will get some more pictures...

I keep saying that... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

16. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Yeah, those snow run pictures are in your webshots album... that was some crazy snow. I'm checking out the digital camera from work tonight, so hopefully I'll be able to have some pictures of the ol' 73 up on here tomorrow.

17. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My '79 is fully convertable!

I opted for the factory 'delete' top

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

The guy who owns the truck said that when you shift it into reverse the rear end will make a weird noise, but he said that he has been driving this thing daily for the entire winter and even more before that... any idea what it could be? I'm not really that worried about it because I just figure that I can blow up that rear end and get a 14bolt for it.

19. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Did you cut it off?

20. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Need more info on the rear end noise. Like a pop? Or grinding?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Did you cut it off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes suh! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif