Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fumes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txguy, Sep 18, 2001.

1. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

I got a full size Jimmy (85). When I have the rear window cracked slightly, or all the way down, anywhere in between, I get exhaust fumes in the cab. Anyone know of any way to route the exhaust or any mods to the window area? I have seen those little wings that are pointing down, mounted just about the top of the glass. Anyone? Any suggestions? Also, if this is the case, I can see it being the same with the top off.

2. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

the vacuum pulls the exhaust up there at the back. if you ride down the road with the rear window open, it will suck it in the rear window. It is not as bad with the top off usually.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

That spoiler or "wing" on the top rear does wonders for keeping dirt and rain off the back window. Works equally well for exhuast fumes, although you must be moving for it to work, obviously.

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

4. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

I was hoping someone would tell me that. I will have to find one somewhere, or go to the dealer. Thanks

5. Burbinator

There's a place here in Phoenix called Quality Bumper that has some very good stuff. I think the spoiler (they call them "rear deflectors") for my Sub was about $60 and I put it on myself (really easy). They may have a website or I could get a number for you, if you want.

- Alan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

6. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Sure, If they have a website that would be great. I live in Austin. I wonder what brand it is they sell? Anyway, thanks again for your help.

7. Alex

Alex Registered Member

txguy, the rear spoilers are great. You can also route the tail pipe in a 45-degree angle at the rear (instead of the 90-degree bend) which helps, but doesn't eliminate the entire exhaust back draft.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Same here. They told me when I got my dual exhaust that I shouldn't run it straight out the back because of this problem. I have had no problems with it going out behind the tires, and I drive with my rear window down 99% of the time.

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i think the fumes make the toll collectors on the turnpike look like hotties. you should bottle it and sell it.

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

11. Burbinator

I can't seem to readily find a website for them. I'll call the local store here in Phoenix and have them hook me up with the info. Worst case scenario I'll get an 800, I'm hoping, and forward it on so you can take it from there.
    Most of the sites I visited for the search on deflectors didn't turn any stainless ones, which I assume you would want. If not, there are a lot of ones that sell composites and fiberglass. Personally, I like the stainless. Anyway, I'll post some info for you tomorrow.

- Alan

12. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

I would like to check out all of them, but prolly would rather have a stainless one. Thanks for the help

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, you can open the drivers window when moving to force air through the truck, out the back window. That cures the problem, without spoiler, when cruising. (at least on my truck with dual exhaust, exiting one behind each rear wheel in stock location) Even the spoiler or drivers window open won't cure the problem when you take off from a light though, since air flow isn't great enough.

A suburban spoiler is the same as a Blazer spoiler, (meaning they are very common) and besides the somewhat cheesy chrome plated pot metal ends, the stock one is better looking than aftermarket if you ask me. GM did a pretty good job mounting the spoilers as well, using small "gaskets" to seal the holes that were drilled into the topper. Without sealing those holes, you are exposing (moreso than if no holes there) the inner steel reinforcements of the topper to corrosion.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. Burbinator

OK...website is : www.qualitybumper.com. I get an error (company rep says it may be that virus going around) when I attempt to load it. The toll free number is : 888-321-6689 and Lewis is a good POC. Dorian has some good points about the installation. My spoiler came with gaskets to weather seal it, since mine attaches to sheetmetal vs. the fiberglass (?) on the Blazer. Functionality is great, but they make the truck look better, too. Good luck!

- Alan

15. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone... I will look into it. I have tried several combinations with the windows up down etc... I think this spoiler is the best bet.