Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuming Mad Hot Wheels Collector... Stole from my Boy!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 350350, Mar 7, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Anybody collect the Highway 35 World Race cars just before Christmas??? We got them all and sent away for the track as the Hot Wheels Gods directed... Justly, we should have received the free track by now.

I just learned that if we haven't received the track by now, the supplies have been depleted and we probably not receive one.

Furthermore, I found out that Hot Wheels sold some of the limited number of tracks to the hot wheels collectors on the hot wheels collectors web site for several hundred bucks a shot BEFORE filling the orders for kids like mine who followed all the rules, collected all the cars, and now will not get the track because some collector living in his Mom's basement was willing to pay $300 for the track that Hot Wheels promised to give my kid in exchange for collecting all the cars. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I've been collecting and playing with Hot Wheels for over 30 years, and my Son and I have enjoyed collecting and playing with them for several years now too. I'm done with them. There are plenty of other brands out there to by now and after I send 100 hate mails to Mattel I'll be done with Hot Wheels for good.

It's literally "Taking Candy from a Baby" for cold hard cash.

Anybody else send off for the track and not get it? Now you know why. Go to http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/ and read up on it. All the details are there.

Hot Wheels has had a reputation of doing good things for children since 1968. This is one of the most underhanded things I've seen in the toy industry in my entire life.

Subsequently, I have a massive stash, probably a couple of thousand, hot wheels mint in package from 1990 to 2003, that I'll be putting up on ebay. I've watched the prices of older Hot Wheels drop consistently over the past 10 years and they're no investment. After this incident I'm tempted to give them to charity or something. We'll see what Hot Wheels has to say, if anything, in response to my hate mail...

Sorry, had to rant a little. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Messing with me on a car deal is begging for trouble, but mess with my Boy and make me see deep disappointment in his eyes, and you've set off anger that I never knew I had in me... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the only ones i ever bought were the treasure hunts...now those were an investment....

3. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

One thing is when they con a grown adult into a scam or give preference to others ($$$), but conning kids is a kick in the nuts in my book.. I hate to see the look of dissappointment on a kids face.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That is just down right fawked up. After reading that, I'm done buying there stuff also /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That is just down right fawked up. After reading that, I'm done buying there stuff also /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a BBS on the Hot Wheels Collectors web site where you can ask questions directed at actual Hot Wheels Representatives. I posted the following letter there yesterday, and have not had a single response from ANYONE yet!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Topic: 30 Years of Hot Wheels Loyalty Down the Drain

I've been enjoying Hot Wheels cars since as long as I can remember. At least 30 years. My Son is now 3.5 years old, and I have had great joy in sharing this hobby with him.

I have several thousand Mint in Box Hot Wheels from 1990 through 2003, and my Son has at least 1000 open Hot Wheels that he has enjoyed playing with. However, the longer he waits for his Highway 35 track, the less interested he is in his Highway 35 cars, and the less interested he is in How Wheels at all for that matter. I'm planning on putting my collection on ebay as a single lot and be done with them. I have a feeling that their value will not increase significantly in the future, and they're just taking up space right now. I'll use the money to buy my Son something that I know will actually arrive in the mail as promised...

That ended 2 days ago. Our Love Affair with Hot Wheels is Over.

My Son Loves the entire Highway 35 Hype. For the most part, I have felt that it was handled and marketed poorly, but my Son enjoyed it all, so we joined in and hunted and searched everywhere for all the cars. Followed all the rules, and sent off for his Highway 35 track back in December of last year. And we're still waiting.

Then a couple of days ago I learned that a certain number of 'special sets' were sold to the elite members here on the collectors site only. While my Son, who spent countless hours at Kmarts, Wal-Marts, etc., following the rules, has waited months for his track to arrive. And Hot Wheels sold him out and gave his track away to the highest bidder, most of which have already shown their Hot Wheels loyalty by listing their 'special sets' on ebay. From what I understand, since he has not yet received his track, he will probably never see it. So much for the trust that can be put in the hands of Hot Wheels where their (supposed) target market is concerned... Children. If collectors have more money to spend, sell to them... Forget the children who are supposed to be the foundation of the organization...

And furthermore, I took great time and care to create several custom Zed-36 cars for my son, since Hot Wheels was so short sighted that they did not create one themselves. Mine matched the movie identically, and was probably higher quality than you could buy from Hot Wheels. Now I see that the special "1 of 1000" versions have green windows... Did any of you who paid hundreds of dollars for these notice that the Hot Wheels version is completely innacurate with GREEN windows??? Low Class, Low Quality. This is what I've come to expect from Hot Wheels.

But these days it's all about money, and if Hot Wheels keeps getting your money, they will keep pursuing the quickest way to your wallet, regardless of how many 3.5 year old little boys they disappoint in the process. It's funny that just the other day we bought a Hot Wheels book that came with a Highway 35 Deora II attached. In the opening pages, the following marketing BS was somehow told, I am certain, without anyone at Hot Wheels losing a wink of sleep:

" INTROCUCTION

Don't you love it when you find a new toy? In 1968, a man named Elliot Handler created a new kind of toy car. Mr. Handler owned a toy company called Mattel that made Barbie dolls, the most famous fashion doll in the world. But he wanted to make something for boys. He chose toy cars.

His new cars were fast and designed to race downhill on bright orange track. Mr. Handler's idea was a good one. That year kids all over the country bought more Hot Wheels cars than any other kind of toy car. He also wanted his new toys to be models of American cars since most other toy cars at the time were models from England. "

You'll notice that Mr. Handler didn't want to build a marketing scheme designed to sell limited edition children's toys exclusively to adults on a collector's site.

Hot Wheels has lost sight of their original goal, a travesty which inevetably happens to, and eventually ends, all empires. Hot Wheels will be around for a long time... It just won't be there for children. Hot Wheels is headed for being just another one of the many 'Adult Collector' servers and isn't likely to be at many 3.5 year old boys' Birthday Parties in the future.

Another thing Mr. Handler was right about... Everyone wanted to copy his idea. There are plenty of high quality toy cars on the market today. Hot Wheels survives to a great degree on its name alone. Its name does not carry the same positive connotations that it did many years ago. And its name is carried on by an entirely different group of people today than only a few years ago. Personally I'll be moving on to a more reputable brand so that my Son is not to be disappointed in such a grand manner as he has been with the Highway 35 episode. I'm not sure the Highway 35 situaton could have been handled worse if the Devil himself could have planned it.

Sincerely,
    Paul Xavier Dearringer

[/ QUOTE ]

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

That's gay /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I've always preferred Matchbox myself... I think the only Hot Wheels I have in my collection right now is a Vehicross... and it's not as high quality as my Matchboxes... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i agree, matchbox cars always rolled smoother when i was a kid.

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i agree, matchbox cars always rolled smoother when i was a kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, Matchbox and Hot Wheels are both owned by Mattel now. Matchbox seems to be the 'Cadillac' version, but still run by the same bean counters.

At least Matchbox doesn't hold back their track/play sets for collectors like Hot Wheels does. First Come, First Served. We have several cool Matchbox playsets like Hero Highway and Ice Mountain that are very durable and fun to play with. Hero Highway is my favorite, and my Son and I have probably put at least 200,000 miles on cars on it since he was about 1.5 years old!

I'll probably go to Johnny Lightenings. More expensive, but more detailed and more Muscle-Car oriented. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Every once in a while, about every 100 years or so, Luck smiles on me...

A customer service rep from Mattel read my post on the collector's site, and was so amazed at how pissed off I was that he took the time to write back and forth with me by email for several days. I basically told him there was absolutely no way in hell I would ever do business with Mattel again, and he was wasting his time.

He finally kinda gave up and as a last ditch effort offered to send me the Track Set for free. I told him I'd take the Track, but I wouldn't promise that it would change my opinion of Mattel. I'd be taking the track solely to stop the disappointment I have to see when my Son asks about it. So he sent it, it's massive, the biggest track Hot Wheels has ever made, FedEx overnight. It's 40"x20"x10" and weighs 20 pounds.

That same day he sent it, my Mother calls and says the Track finally showed up. She was the one that found the last few cars, so she sent off for the track and it came to her house. So I now have 2 Tracks! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I checked and they're still going for $200-$300 on ebay. I'm not about to send one back to Mattel. So what I'd like to do is find someone else that got screwed by Hot Wheels and give it to them for free. Or maybe give it to a charity or something where kids could actually play with it or give it to kids that would otherwise not have the opportunity to get the track... Whether you bought it on ebay or collected all the cars to get it, it would still cost a couple hundred dollars.

So the question now is, how do I find a kid that truly got screwed by Hot Wheels to give it to? If I post on a BBS everyone and their dog will claim to be a needy family so that they can have it for free and sell it on ebay. I wish I knew someone personally that got ripped off that I could give it to.

Any ideas??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that's sad,i could feel your anger. i have a three and a 1/2 year old boy also.it's tough to explain to a little guy that people suck when you can't really say people suck.it increases my anger that i was even put in that position. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif hope they send your little guy his track,so he doesn't become disalusioned with people. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

the last post was that they sent him the track /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif just search for other sites or something that might have message boards if you want to find a needy family for it. i dont know how else to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i had a bad day and after reading the original post i guess i got to mad and was waiting to rant, so i didn't finnish reading the last one. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif thats the second time tonight /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif