Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fun with sunvisors

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wildbilzrydn, Jan 19, 2006.

1. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

Like the Dumbass I am I bought not one but two sets of used "blazer" sunvisors off of Ebay. Anyhow, they dont bolt up. It looks like the hardtop has a recess and a threaded insert behind the windshield frame where something (adapter or bracket?) would bolt up.
    To make matters worse, The LMC truck catalog shows that they have the same part # for K5,10,20 & 30 brackets meaning either they are wrong too or I need some obscure "adapter".
    Can anyone help me here? I would like to see pics if you got 'em.

Thanks,

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't have a photo, but I'm assuming that the problem is on the outer corners (not near the rear view mirror?)

You are correct that the visors attach with 2 bolts on that side, and they are captive nuts in the hardtop (at least one)....I think the other is in the A-pillar but I can't form a mental image of that area for some reason. Anyway, yes if the nuts are missing, you will need to find a way to graft-in new threads so that the visors have something to hold on to.

Sorry.

3. wildbilzrydn

Well.....
    Yes the problem is on the outside. It looks like my clips will bolt up (by the rearview mirror). The windshield frame has one threaded hole, and then there's a recess in the hardtop (dbl wall) that has a captive nut.
    Greg it looks like I need to buy one of the assy manuals that you clued me into before, maybe there's some answers in there.
    Thanks!

4. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

on my jimmy the nuts came off and the only way i could think of to fix it was to drill a hole where the nut was supost go, which was bigger than the new nut i got, then i welded it in, while holding in in place with a bolt, so the nut was now recessed. but this was on the 3 bolts that hold the visor to the body, not on the top, the other bracket to hold the visor straight was just one bolt on the frame also.

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    HERE ARE THE SUNVISORS IN MY 71.tHE HOLE IS TO ACCESS A NUT with a wrench.Previous owner broke the one that is normally rivited up in there.
    [​IMG]

I ended up welding a nut to a piece of 1/8th inch flat stock then rivited it back in place.
    Drilled out the old "nut plate" that was in the top and removed it by the access hole that had been drilled by the P/O.
    Slid the new "nut plate" I made through the same access hole and rivited it in place.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  6. wildbilzrydn

Thanks for the pics. I see they are different than the "truck" style brackets. I really appreciate you taking the time to take the pics and post them.

7. racer 222

racer 222 Newbie

i dont know if this will help but in the bike world we just use rivnuts instead of welding new stuff on drill one hole and then insert rivnut everything is flush takes 1 min instead of screwing with everything else plus it cant come back out

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I've used those "threadserts" or "rivitnut" in other applications.But this is an attachment point for the top to body.

I didn't want,what is basically a wedge fit with the "threadserts".
    The backing plate give you more surface area to spread the load that this attachment point see's

Thanks fo the idea though.