Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funky ancient GM axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Aug 18, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey yall.

I drove past a pickup-bed-turned-trailer today for being sold for $50. I saw 8 lugs and ff hubs, and swung in to check it out, thinking I just found my 14ff rear.
    uh uh. This thing was really wierd. it was a 60's Chevy pickup bed and frame (still had the driveshaft hanger). a leaf on each side, and coils over the shocks (kinda strut looking, but real tiny springs).
    Here's what's really funky: the pumpkin was pretty large and perfectly round, had ten bolts in the cover. 3 on top and 3 on bottom were evenly spaced apart, then 2 on each side were about an inch apart, right in line with the tubes.

Anybody know what this animal was?? I'm not interested in it, but I'm curious about it.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 08/18/01 09:42 PM.</FONT></P>

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

probally a eaton rear end

IF its not broke , break it and upgrade it.

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Sounds like an old eaton unit.

4. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

i would have to agree on it being an enton i had a 62 long bed with one just like it

73' GMC Jimmy 8" lift and 35" tires.....14 boltff and big 10 bolt on the way

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

They're right it's an Eaton Full Floater.

The coil springs indicate that the truck was a 3/4 ton. It is almost certainly equiped with 4.57 gears.

Could it have the optional factory Detroit NoSPIN?
    Who will ever know?....

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Where is this yard that you go to? I need to get a 73-79 front driveshaft from a TH350/203 truck and a 31 gallon tank with sending unit from a 87-91 (fuel injected) K5 or burb. Would they have that stuff?</font color=blue>

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The little coils over the shocks are old-school aftermarket.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ahh, eaton... I'll be honest about my ignorance... I have never even seen one aside from this unit... There was nothing on the axle ID chart that looked anything like this thing.

Biggray71, I saw this axle on the side of the road, not my junkyard, but I wouldn't be very surprised to see it there... the yard I go to is in Huntington Long Island, and I think it's one of the oldest yards alive. I'm on vacation starting tomorrow (barring a phone call inthe next 5 hours). I'll take a look at the yard when I get there tomorrow. They should have the front shaft, I've seen plenty older front driveshafts there. The tank I don't know about. I know they want around $100 for the sender assembly (mine is dead too). I'll PM you tomorrow night if I go.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**