Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funky break problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Hey fellers, my breaks were squeeling pretty bad (sounded like the back left) so I pulled off both drums and sure enough, there was a spring that had gotten disconnected. I cleaned everything and made sure the adjusting stars were free to adjust then put it back together and took it for a drive. The squeel is 'better' but when I really hit the breaks my break light comes on. I checked the fronts as well and all looked good. The pedal feels a little softer than it had before. Any ideas?

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i know it sounds simple but did you check fluid level after you put it back together??
    i think there is a sensor that makes the light come on when the fluid level is low, and when you get on the breaks real hard you are taking alot of the fluid out of the resivor and sending it to the pistons
    also if the pads or the drums are worn and you are requiring the pistons to travel to far the l;ight would come on because the reservoir would think it was low on fluid
    also air in the system will cause this

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The brake light comming on means that there is a difference in pressure between the front and rear brakes. In other words a leaky wheel cylinder, caliper, or in one of the lines.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ what has been said to start with. First i would check the fluid level and top it off... is it better? You also may want to drive it a os sit pumping the brakes for a while and see if the fluid level goes down... I next would pull the drums and look to see if the wheel cylinder have any leaks... if all is well try bleeding your brakes.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Re: Funky brake problem

Thanks guys. I did check the fluid level and it was fine. I also checked the wheel cylinders while the drums were off and they were fine. The brakes and drums are about a year old but one is gouged some cuz of another spring letting go shortly after the replacements. I'm thinking I better check for a weak spot (bubble) in the brake lines or something. I'll be putting my 6" lift on in a few weeks and I got some ss break lines on order. When it all comes in I'll be doing the lines right away. I just gotta get under it and inspect a bit more. One thing I could add is that when I nail the brakes hard and hold them there and then release the light stays on until I hit the breaks again- then I hear what I'm guessing to be the calipers pop and release and the light goes out. The more I think about it it sounds like the brake lines.

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: Funky brake problem

It also could be your caliper lines collapsing internally. Do either wheels seem to be stopping harder? If that happens, they'll let fluid into the caliper, but not back out, so pressure keeps building. I had this happen a couple years ago and thought it was the caliper. The piston would move out when off the rotor without a problem, and practically took a vise and everything I had to compress it again. A new line on that caliper fixed it. But I don't know, it doesn't sound like that could be completely it.

If you have the brake lines for the lift, and some time to bleed them, why don't you try them early?

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**