Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funky Factory Tint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I just got a tailgate out of a 91 jimmy. The glass has this funky tint (looks like a million dots) Whats the deal with it (why not just regulat tint) I'm guessing better visibility? Were the side windows tinted with the same crap? Does it actually look ok installed in the truck? Right now its on my shop floor, and I'm really not liking the look of it.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My '90 has it. If you are over a ft away you can't tell what it is. I suspect this type of tint was used due to the abuse the rear window takes from the being run up and down. I don't think an aftermarket tinting film would last very long. The side windows are not tinted the same way.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If they are really small black dots then it's supposed to keep the sun from beating in on ya. They use that tint on a lot of sunroofs to spare the driver/passenger from the sun.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

My 91 has a solid factory tint on the rear window along with the sides.

5. kenbrown

kenbrown Registered Member

that is an expensive window! mine broke so i called the dealer to get one. the tinted one was almost 500 bucks!!! and the regular just over a hundred. personaly i like the tint. from inside it is easier to see out than the regular.

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Does your rear window have laminated glass like regular factory tinted windows (tint sandwiched in the middle of two pieces of glass)? Mine's got that stupid dot tint, except mine is thousands of little holes, not dots.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Its thousands of clear dots. The tint is on the inside of the window (I can feel the texture with a fingernail) I cant roll the window up yet to look at the stamp to see what it is. Hopefully between my trashed out tailgate and this one I'll have everything I need.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]