Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funky K5 "sway"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCJimmy, Dec 3, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Funky K5 \"sway\"

Recently installed the 60/14 combo, swaybar gone, ORD crossover in. 4" TC front springs, 4" RC rear springs.

Did not notice this before (1/2 ton), but under acceleration, the truck tracks straight, but the nose points left. Under hard braking, the truck tracks straight, but the nose points right.

Nothing extreme, but it is noticeable from the driver's seat.

It this due to different F/R spring rates, lack of sway bar, suspension geometry, or???

No frame cracks, broken suspension, etc, heck, it's all new from the frame down.

Worry about it, or just get used to it?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Funky K5 \"sway\"

I'd say it's the soft front springs.

You're probably getting a lot more lift under acceleration, and dive under braking than you used to get....which could be causing you to notice steering geometry changes as the suspension cycles.

If you have adjustable front shocks I'd say crank 'em up a little. It won't stop the "effect" but it will slow it down more, which might make it less noticeable.

I get irritated when my rear Detroit engages and disengages on the highway.....there is this subtle "fishtail" motion that happens, most people wouldn't even notice it but it's one of those "driveability" things that gets on my nerves. Maybe you and I are just fussier than most? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the Detroit has taken some getting used to. When I was setting up the 14bff, the passengers side wheel would lock up under moderate braking, then the Detroit would do it's thing. The truck acted like it was going to "crab" down the road, then it would straighten out. (Very quickly)

Picked the seat fabric out of my crack a couple of times until I got it adjusted out properly... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One strange thing about the 14bff/detroit. I set my gears up, after new bearings/races in the chunk. The pattern and backlash were good, but after driving it, I found that I could rotate the yoke 1/4 turn before the wheels would move. I assumed the backlash was out, pulled the cover, and measured the backlash again. Still had a good pattern/backlash. Seems to be a little slop in the detroit somehow.

Guess I will get used to the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif's new "agility" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I really enjoyed the "Great American Roadtrip" post!

Byron

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

O yeah detroits have a lot of slop, if youve looked at one before installing it you will see why they have a lot of slop. My truck has some wierd handling characteristics, detroit really likes to make the truck jump around. When on the brakes the truck pulls to right pretty good, i hope that goes away with the crossover.