Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funky landmarks-what'cha got?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jun 21, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is Gaffney, South Carolina's water tower. It's about an hour south of me!
    Obviously, the area is famous for peaches!

[​IMG]

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Lets see around here We have..........

Two drive thru trees
    Two trees that actually have stores built inside of them. One is less than 100 yards from My house.
    Worlds tallest tree (well it was untill about 10 years ago, now its a log) about 5 miles from My house.
    The furthest point west in the continental United States.
    Western most oil derrick (Petrolia, CA) but has long been shut down.
    Eel river one of only a few in the world that flows south to north.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

we have a fire tower, looks like a 200 foot tall deer stand. the state use to use it to watch for forest fires, finally went out of service about 5 years ago. it belonged to the state until they ceased using it. the land it is on belongs to my family, & the contract w/ the state said we got the land & all permanant stuctures on it back in the family after they quit using it.

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

why is that, you know?

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Probably cause almost all rivers flow twords the Equator. I should correct Myself and mention that it would be backwards south of the Equator.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

I dunno if these are landmarks or not, but heres an unusual building in downtown Old Sacramento . :)

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thats an office building dumbass!!!!!!

8. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

That Peach is awesome! ;)

That office building isn't really a landmark, but it is for sure... funky! A little over board on that one.

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, so, thats all we got, what are you? The "funky landmarks POSTING PATROL? " :haha: :thumb:

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

No I'm on dumbass patrol :D :D :D

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

SO post up yer damn drive through tree !!!!!! :grin:

12. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha:

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

14. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How about this -- Edmonton is home to the world's largest baseball bat, lol :D Sorry, no pics. Just imagine a 10 story metal baseball bat on a stand just before chinatown.

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Why dont You put that bat to good use and smack Canmore upside the head with it!
    :cool: :thumb: :thumb:

16. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This it???

[​IMG]

17. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The Big Chicken Marietta, GA

[​IMG]

Johnny Reb's was a Marietta (Marietta city history) greasy spoon with a challenge. Owner Tubby Davis was facing increasing competition and he needed a means of attracting customers to his establishment. "Reb" burgers at 15 cents a shot were no longer unique, but his fried chicken might just do the trick.
    He turned to Georgia Tech ('57) graduate Hubert Puckett to design and build the sheet metal structure that rose 56 feet above the ground. Puckett was employed by a division of Atlanta Steel, a structural design and building firm. The eyes were designed to rotate and the beak would open and close. A ruffle on the top of the Big Chicken's head would move from side-to-side in the wind.

Over the years the structure created at the corner of Highway 120 and U. S. 41 gained a certain renown with local folks who used the chicken as a landmark for directions. "In the shadow of the Big Chicken" or "first light south of the Big Chicken" are still common phrases used on television and radio to describe a location in Marietta. In fact, Marietta Square is just six blocks west of the Big Chicken.

Time and the elements took its toll on the last remnant of Tubby's fast food restaurant. First the mechanical beak and eyes were shut off because of malfunctions. The structure needed a good paint job. The riveting, holding the sheet metal to the steel skeleton, was in constant need of repair.

Finally, in 1993, the end of the Big Chicken was near. After a period of neglect and damage from an unnamed stormed, the roadside landmark had seen better days and the cost of repair would be too great. When plans of the Chicken's demise were leaked to the public an unexpected outcry of support forced the owners of the KFC franchise to rethink their options.

They did and turned to Atlanta Steel (now part of Timken Corp.) to help with the repair. Although Mr. Puckett no longer worked with the firm, they were more than happy to help reconstruct the now famous landmark. Technological advancements made it easier to create the movement in the beak and eyes; a new coat of paint (actually, several coats of paint) and the Big Chicken was once again ready to stand duty on US 41 in Marietta.

Today the Big Chicken stands in front of a KFC (the new name for Kentucky Fried Chicken). Inside the building is a gift shop with all kinds of Big Chicken memorabilia.

Marietta, GA
    (On the northeast corner at the intersection of Cobb Parkway (U.S. 41) and Roswell Rd.
    Directions: Take I-75 to the South 120 Loop (also known as South Marietta Parkway). Go west for .6 miles on GA 120 to South Cobb Parkway. Turn right on South Cobb and go .7 miles to the Big Chicken on the right

18. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

I have seen that!! that is thing is awesome. I bought my truck from the dealership directly behind the chicken! :laugh: :laugh:

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

And here I thought rivers ran downhill...:)

rene

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Got Milk??

We have a huge "Milk Bottle" that has a resturaunt at the base!..its in Raynham MA,--there was another one in Taunton Ma,the next town over,a few miles from the one here,but I havent driven by there in a long time--not sure if that one still exists(I think it was abandoned last time I saw it)...the one near me with the resturaunt is very old,and has about an inch and a half of paint on it!...its changed hands many times,and every new owner so far has not spent much on the building--at least if they did,it does not look it!...

Thats about it for landmarks near me..unless you go 15 miles to Plymouth MA,and go see the Mayflower and Plimouth Plantation(a place where they dress and live just like the Pilgrims did!)--

They are tearing everything down around here--just lost a "Dairy Maid" ice cream stand that stood for over 40 years across the street--now its a nissan dealership...and a subaru dealership is being built right next door...15 new car dealerships have been built right in front of my house on a highway that runs paralell with my street-(now its "The Raynham Automile! :surepal: :screwy: )-a Super Wal-Mart and a Lowe's home center 1/2 mile away too...things are changing fast around here--too fast for me--good time to move out of here while houses are 300 grand and up--many folks are selling rattrap houses for that much,and moving away to other states like TN,and buying a mansion there for little more than a hundred grand,and they plan to retire on the "change" left over!...wish I was one of them.. :frown1: