Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funky noise coming from left rear.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 28, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I noticed I have a funky sounding noise, kind of like, metal on metal coming from the left rear. When I apply the brakes, it stops, but then starts again when I let off. I figure it's probably something with the brake pad. I haven't had time to take the wheel off either. When I do, I'll let you guys know what I see. Could it be the brake?

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it could be the brake or the wheel bearing but sounds more like the brake

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Mine was doing that several months ago. It was the brake making it. The pad was worn and it was the little warning thing (sorry not sure of the technical term) rubbing and making the noise telling me "hey change me." May not be your problem but the noise is now gone now that I got some new pads on.

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I had the cross bar (or whatever you call the bar with the notches that connects the two brake shoes) come loose becaue the adjust seized up. It was loose in the drum rubbing on it causing a metal on metal sound. I would for sure take the drum off on inspect the setup.

[​IMG]

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I know it's not the squeler plate. I know EXACTLY what that sounds like. Hopefully sometime today I'll get around to getting the wheel off of there. I still have yet to go to sleep and when I get up, I have a lot of things to do.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Prolly the brakes. Mine have done the same

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

My left rear tire makes a strange noise like pins falling into a metal pan sometimes. That's from having sand in the brakes.

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I had a noise from the left rear and found out it was bad bearing eating up my axle. I found shavings in the oil, but nothing seemed worn. Two days later the rear left was covered in oil. I figured, no big deal, I'll change the seals on both sides and the bearings while I have it apart. Then I found the axle![​IMG] Now the noise is gone.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people