Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funky steering, another thing to check

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dbozman, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Noticed my new (to me) '74 K5 steered and wandered very, very badly. As noted in another thread, both my front shackles were way bent.

When I disassembed the front suspension today in preparation for installing the new shackles, I found that the PO had not properly installed the front springs. Instead of mounting the center pin down in the spring pads, the Rough Country springs had the pins reversed (nut side down) so the springs were basically just sitting atop the pads attached via U-bolts.

I'm sure this was enough to let the front axle walk back and forth, affecting the track of the vehicle.

Anyway, if you're having weird steering and have checked all the normal stuff -- and maybe your suspension was worked on by a previous owner -- this is another possibility.

Question: Any need for 4-degree shims in the front for a 4-inch lift? I don't think so but want to be sure.
    d
    d

2. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I will have to check this out, mine wanders alot.

3. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I think the 4-degree shims could be to correct the pinion angle, but I am not sure.:confused: I think I have read were sometime the lift jacksup the pinion angle presenting the driver with driveline vibrations. Double check with the other guys though