Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

funny jeep story!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Dec 1, 2004.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Quote :
    ""I have had my 2002 Jeep Liberty for 2 winters now and I always keep a tow strap in back because I have pulled a number of cars and trucks out of the snow. The first real test came in February, 2002 when Oakland County Michigan got close to a foot of snow overnight.

After pulling out several stuck cars and pickup trucks that I passed on my way to work, I came across a double trailer semi-truck stuck in the right lane of Telegraph Road in Bloomfield Hills. He was unable to even rock the truck. The tires just spun and the vehicle did not move. I pulled over in front of him and told him I was willing to try pulling him out if he thought it would do any good. He told me that if I did get him out I would need to pull him to the top of the small hill about 1/4 of a mile away because he would just get stuck again. I didn't have a problem with that so I put the Liberty in 4-wheel Low and backed up to his truck. We hooked the tow strap to the towing pin on the front of his semi. I eased the tow strap tight and accelerated slowly. All four wheels on the Liberty were spinning slowly in the snow but sure enough the truck started moving. At that point the light turned red and we had to stop. When it turned green we started off again with the truck in tow slowly accelerating to about 10 mph. We got quite a few amazed looks from other motorists. At the top of the hill we stopped and unhooked. The truck driver was very amazed. He told me that he had his truck in neutral and the Liberty still had enough traction to pull both vehicles up the hill through deep snow. He said he was going to trade his Ford truck in for a Jeep vehicle.

The second Liberty "rescue" of a semi-truck occurred during a snow and ice storm this past April. Traffic on Telegraph Road in Bloomfield Hills was at a crawl because of vehicles having trouble making it up the ice-covered hill. A semi-truck had become stuck in the middle lane halfway up the hill. I pulled over in front of him and offered him a tow. He was a little surprised but accepted. I put the Liberty in 4-wheel Low and we hooked the tow strap to his towing pin. The road was so slippery we had to be careful not to fall while walking between the vehicles. I kept the wheels spinning slowly on the ice and at first, nothing seemed to be happening but then I looked at the pavement and realized we were moving slowly up the hill, accelerating as we went. The drivers of the other trucks were quite amazed to see the Liberty pulling the truck up the hill, especially those who were stuck. We eventually crested the hill and he hit his horn to stop. He was very impressed. There were three additional trucks stuck on the other side of the road but I decided one truck was enough since I was already running late for work.

This may not be a heart-stopping rescue but it certainly demonstrates the capabilities of the Liberty when the going gets tough.

Brian H

Waterford, MI "
    "

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I am just trying to figure out how big the tow strap was. FYI this should be in the lounge, not the garage. But Still
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. jekquistk5

my bad... I just was laughing so hard when I found it!

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Where did you find this?

Michigan Jeepers?

5. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

Was this the first Hemi Liberty or Hemerty? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif "Waiter, I'll have what he is smoking." /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. jekquistk5

[ QUOTE ]
    Where did you find this?

Michigan Jeepers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup

8. four_by_ken

Could you PLEASE PM me the link... I want to go have a word over there. I am over the about as much as here. Lots of guys I run with have Jeeps. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. four_by_ken

Actually MJ was making fun of it also.

It is from Jeeps website.

http://www.jeep.com/wrangler/4wd_capability.html

Go there, click on the Read Story link in the lower right corner, then click the story dropdown box; it's "Liberty tows Semis" near the bottom.

Jeep actually publishes this.

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Dear Penthouse...

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

EXACTLY!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Quote :
    ""across a double trailer semi-truck stuck

A semi-truck had become stuck in the middle lane halfway up the hill "
    "

[/ QUOTE ]

What dad would let there child play thing his RC cars in the road?

13. Logan

Logan Registered Member

This isn't saying much for the liberty actually -- unloaded rigs are *astoundingly* tractionless even in light snow. Heh, a FWD ricer probably could have got him going. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Fully loaded? No Chance.

Ya Gotta Have Chains! <And kitty litter>
    -Al.

14. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

15. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This isn't saying much for the liberty actually -- unloaded rigs are *astoundingly* tractionless even in light snow. Heh, a FWD ricer probably could have got him going. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Fully loaded? No Chance.

Ya Gotta Have Chains! <And kitty litter>
    -Al.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fully loaded,never....I was stuck in some mud with my '01 KW T800 (trk-n-trl.=8 axles) on level ground.Damn Furd Ranger pulled me out... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Agreed, uphill or loaded is a crock...That being said I have pulled a stuck triple-triple bull hauler out of our yard when he got in some uneven snow covered ground while unloaded, useing my old 83' S-10 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif