Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

funny looks from the guy at the salvage yard

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Feb 26, 2003.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

He couldnt understand why I wanted to put F*rd 57" springs on my K5

He couldnt find the application in his computer LOL

I must not be the first one to run into this

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I have learned long ago not to even try to tell the parts guy what I want to do with it. Additionally, I'd advise against telling the junkyard guy. Your custom application probably just made the price jump up more than if you acted like you wanted them for your broke down farm truck. Just some FYI junkyard etiquite. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree totally with laketex, you've got to act as if you don't really want something. In fact, if they're asking a price you don't want to pay - pass on it, and then you'll see them drop the price for you. If you walk in and say, hey - I need a 14 bolt for my truck, I've been looking for a long time - well, you can bet the price is climbing in the guy's head right at that moment.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Funny, I ran into something like this yesterday. I was getting wheel bearings for my D60 (which came out of a Dodge); took the bearings and the calipers in to Autozone so I could have them by the number rather than application. Everything went well until we couldn't find the wheel seal, and I accidentally slipped and said Dodge (after I had been saying GM). So the counter guy proceeds to tell me that the GM stuff WILL NOT FIT (with all the same bearings right in front of us), and that NO DODGE 60 WILL WORK IN A GM!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Always keep the application secret. Most parts guys just don't get it, which is a damn shame. They should be wondering what ELSE you are doing.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I got my 57's I told the yard guy it was for my work truck..."Uh yeah, um it's a um 91 F150...yeah that's it"

He gave me a price and I said that really sucks...busted work truck and junkyard springs that are too expensive. Then I walked out...when I got to the door the guy stopped me and dropped the price by $40/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

6. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I sold parts for 3-1/2 years while I was in college and I always enjoyed the fun (challenge) of projects that mix-matched parts. There was always a sense of satisfaction after digging through a pile of books tracking down part numbers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

...its realy fun w/ AMCs.

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I was at a yard one time and found some shocks that were on a Ford 150 with a 4in lift. I went and told the guy I wanted all four shocks he gave me the "look" And I paid 40$ for four RS9000's in good shape /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Well we have a CK5'er here that works at AutoZone and this boy knows the shiznit! (Patented Dan word) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ColAdo82K5 - is Da Man behind the counter! Thanks for all those "lookups" Blake!

10. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I agree, never ask for a part price BEFORE you pull it at the salvage yard. Never tell them its a project and always act like its too much.

11. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

when i was getting my york the girl behind the counter seemed mildly interested in what i was up to cuz me and my buddys are at the yard about once a week, one of em works there. any ways, when i told her what i was going to do with this here AC pump she about sh*t her pants and didnt know what to do. looked in the computer for a GM under hood compresor. the price also jumped quite a bit. then the owner of the yard who also is my auto teacher at school(can you tell i live in a small town?) told her to sell it to me cheap. i ended up paying $35, which is a pretty fair price, i was happy.

12. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks man ! I'd offer any help to my fellow CK5ers if they need some part numbers. You just gotta know how to make those computers and catalogs your "bee-otchs".

Blake

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the junkyard i go to is own by one of my friends dad and i always go directly to my friend. i won't tell you how much free stuff i get there /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. and when i do pay, it is dirt cheap /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Got a friend who owns a scrap metal yard.Calls when something usefull comes in and we usually get it for scrap weight price. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Yeah,I keep a running record in my mind what the part came out of and tell them that.The guys must think I have alot of rigs,cause everytime I go in it is for something different. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Hmm, i went wiht k5ntexas and hes been to the yard a few times. The guy seemed real cool. I told him it was my project 4x4 and everything, he gave me the axle 170 dollars, pulled. 3/4 ton front in good condition (besides brakes and hubs were a littel shot, but R&P were immaculate)

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

When a project vehicle starts to get to be a bunch of different applications I start a 3 ring binder that lists what each part's application is.
    Air filter is xxxx
    Front axle is xxxx
    Front brakes are xxxx
    Rear axle is xxxx
    Rear brakes are xxxx
    etc.
    Each major system gets it's own page. That way two years from now when I've forgotten where each part came from I can look it up. And I never, ever tell the parts person what the part is actually on. Saves them some confusion.

Last time I was at Surprise Cyn a friend with an LC drove down the falls (he was tired of banging his quarters into the rocks backing down on the winch). Last fall stood him on his nose pretty hard. Caused the ign resistor to fail (points dizzy). We wired around it and made it to the Ridgecrest Kragen. After my friend's futzing around with the parts guy trying to get a ballast resistor for a GM engine in a Land Cruiser which confused the heck out of him, I told another counter guy that I needed a ballast resistor for a '65 PowerWagon with a 318. Bingo, had the part. No, I don't know why he still runs points in that rig.

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

There are SOME yard guys you can tell what your doing and theyll take your word for it that it will work and they get it for you. MOST will give you the line of "That wont work". I respond w/ "Well dont tell my Blazer that cuz thats what on it, and you may hurt its feelings" I always try to park away from the window so they cant see what I drive up in. HAHA!

The little yard I have mostly dealt w/ I knew the owner and he would let me troll the yard looking for any part from any rig to use on mine.

Then he got a new counter guy that was a computer type. If the computer doesnt list it, it doesnt exist. I about had him trained and the guy sold out. Now I have a new batch of monkeys to train. Fortunately I got 99% of what I had to a while back. Now its just remembering what it all come from. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

When I get parts I get.....tranny parts for a 70s K10 w/ a TH 350, SOME motor parts for 86 Blazer, some for 97 K1500 Vortec, Rear axle parts for a 77 3/4 ton K20/30, front axle parts for an 86 Blazer for some and some for a 77 K20. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif When I was assembling PI for the first time and I had to make the calls to have them deliver parts and I gave them a list like that, they would always question me. Didnt you just say such and such? And wasnt it whatever a few min ago? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

They use to ask me what it was for...
    I just smile chuckle and say you don't want to know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I'm on the other side of the counter pulling the parts but I still ask what it is off of, cause I want to know, Just the gear head in me.

-Jeremy

20. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I actually had a guy tell me that front axles don't have axles joints!!I went in and asked for an axle joint for my D44 and he came out with a U-joint for the front D-shaft.I was this ain't right I need it for the axle.He goes they don't have U-joints in the axles.Says his Chevy truck has 600,000 miles on it and he doesn't have them.I just laughed and grap the book flipped through and found a pic of the D44.Showed it to him and he got the right part finally. quit going to there.I go across the street to a carquest now.I go in,tell them what I am doing they bring me the part I need.Brady