Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funny noise A/C compressor????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 1, 2005.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok here is my newest prob. Without the AC on with the heater set on vent/floor/def etc. I get a wierd noise clicking on and off. Is that my compressor going on and off. Today i used the AC and when I got out it sounded like an empty PS pump whining :confused: Shut off the AC and the noise went away. Is there a way to oil this thing or what?

Thanks for any info :)

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yes the ac pump needs oil...some parts store carry what you need to oil it yourself, or a ac shop can do it..as for it sounding like it is comming on and off when you have the switch in other positions other than ac..it should only come on in a/c or defrost...some people don't realize that the ac pump works when in the defrost mode..this is to remove the moister from the air..another reson could be that your switch it self i worn out..this is my problem..my switch is worn out and mine never shuts off, no matter what positing it is in..the bad thing is mine is a 1982 and i can't find a replacement switch for it..i can find a 1981 and a 1983 but no 1982..i even went to the dealer and they looked it up and told me that mine is different than '81 and 83' so neither one will work...so i keep searchinf the local junk yards...but anyways yes it should be oiled or it will freeze up, and check out your switch,,i hope this helps you a little..

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

cool anybody else? It only blows cool air in AC positions, but it sounds like the clutch is cycling on and off in the other positions, or something else is clicking on and off :dunno:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know anything about your switch problem, but the "PS pump whine" was the death scream for my compressor. Oil it soon. You can get the "injector" oil at most parts stores. You just hook up the tube, screw the end and it goes right in.

Cheap and easy. Certainly cheaper and easier than replacing the compressor.