Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funny OFF-ROAD story

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Mar 20, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have any good stories to tell about 4 wheeling?? I have a few about Jeeps and Fords. Went mudding one day and my friend, who thought his Donky(Bronco) was a beast, buried his piece. My other friend who had a CJ-7(blah!!) tried to pull him out. Meanwhile I was sitting in a mud hole, in 4 wheel drive and not stuck, watching all of this. I was laughing so hard, cuz the Bronco was dug in good and my friend in the Jeep pulled in behind him and high centered. My friend's Bronco dug ruts deep enough the Jeep's tires were off the ground. They were waving at me to come help. All I could do was laugh. I slammed the gas wide @#$%-ing open and came zipping over beside them, the classic ?, "Need some help there Scott?" He was cussing and yelling. I got the Jeep out, but I decided to back up to the Jeep and hook the strap up to my rear tow hooks. I slammed on the gas and just caked the Jeep in JIMMY wake. It was awesome, but the Bronco had to wait until my friend Mike, who owns an '84 Chevy 4x4 with 10" lift and 40" Boggers, to come pull him out. We got the Bronco out, but not before we tore it up getting it unstuck. Scott was hooking the strap up to some wrong places and that cost him dearly. :) Now let's hear some of your guys' stories.

Alex

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Seems so long ago (it was about 15 years ago) we were running in a sand wash in Arizona (about 10 miles north of Mesa on what was (maybe still is) 89 (on the way to Sahuaro Lake). Me in my 72 Blazer (6" lift, 38 Ground Hawgs) and my buddy in his new 1 ton Chevy (10" lift, 38 Mudders), we pull over to BS a while, hanging out. These three Heeps come around the bend (with their girlfriends), start asking us why we weren't 'wheeling, "you guys broken down already", etc. Told them to keep their baby toys out of the mud........they flip us more crap and off they go........about an hour later we come upon them......two stuck in the same mudhole........third one is trying to pull them out.........with a CHAIN.......and, lo and behold, the chain breaks, flies through the back window, lands on the console, almost breaking it! We are laughing our butts off by now, ask them "need some assistance?"......and then tell them for $20 we would pull them out.........they finally swallowed their pride, embarassed in front of their girls, give us the money, and my bud and I (with our snatch straps) literally YANK them out of the mud, think one of them actually got air coming out. Had a good chuckle out of that one...........

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

3. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

That's pretty funny. Those are the situations everyone wants to take advantage of when it comes around. :)

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

4. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Back in 92,, I bought a brand new Jeep Wrangler,, what a POS!!!,, anyway,, I got high centered going down into a creek bed, so the only way out was to be pulled back up a bit 'til I was off the rock. A buddy with a late 70's F*rd was the only guy I new at the time who could get me out. So I call him up, tell him where to meet me and we go to fish out the Jeep. To get to it, you had to drive up the creek, then climb the creek bank to get behind my Jeep.
    The bank was pretty steep and my buddy lined up and did a test run,, his back bumper would hit the creek bed as his front tires were going up the bank. Well, he did that a few times to dig out under his rear bumper,, then he said f*ck it, and just hammered it. That's the first time I've ever seen a truck catch air in real life,,, it was pretty cool to see the front end off the ground and the rear tires throwing major debries behind him. So he gets up the bank, gets behind my Jeep and of course there is absolutly NOTHING to hook onto on the back of a Jeep. We ended up using those stupid little bumper things,, thought they would rip right off the back of the Jeep, but to our surprise, they didn't. He pulled me up a little bit to get me off the rock, I held the breaks while they undid the strap and I just went around the rock back down into the creek.
    I had that POS for 5 months, during that time, I took it back to the dealer 3 times and had an appointment with a written list of stuff needed to be done. I had an air leak in the drivers door, so they adjusted the top so far in, that when the door was shut, I could grab the bottom of the door from the outside. The speedometer started grinding and making noise. Something, I think the e-break, started flopping around under the Jeep. I had a flat and had to beat the painted over jack out of it's holder with a rock,, then the aluminum caps on the lug nuts split out and I had to dig them out of the lug wrench with a screw driver, then jacking up the Jeep, the jack broke. The windshield trim started falling out in pieces, the paint was flaking off the hard top,, Shall I go on??????? 5 MONTHS PEOPLE!!!!! And NONE of it was SERIOUS off roading.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I've got a couple that weren't so funny at the time, but looking back...heh-heh

OK. We're all 20 years old and a buddy wants a Jeep. Buys a brand-new one and wants to show us what it can do. This guy, another friend, and myself in the back seat take off. My buddy pulls off road in a small rural town in Massachusetts and starts going through what looks like a wooded trail. All of the sudden he SLAMS the breaks on. I ask "hey wassup?" and he proceeds to exit the jeep with a sort of ghost-like look on his face. Seems f_ckup hadn't been on this trail before (I didn't know that). When I got out and walked to the front of the jeep I realized that another 12" (literally) and we would have landed 40 feet down on the side of the highway from falling down a sheer drop. Lessons learned (a)don't go wheeling with a newbie unless he's following someone who knows what they're doing, and (b) don't go with someone their first time on a new trail unless they know the route.

Next story, same guy. OK so a week later I get the nerve up to get in this guys jeep again, and this time it's him and his girl up front, myself and my girlfriend, and another girl (3 of us squished into the back.) We're in a parking lot that has a 45degree hill bordering it. Smart-guy decides instead of backing out of the parking space he's going to go up the hill and turn around ON the hill and come back down. Needless to say we all VERY carefully exited the jeep when while it was teetering on that incline. Closest I've even been to rolling over. Lesson learned: (a) don't go with a newbie in a 4x4 (At 20 I didn't learn very quickly).

Last one, same guy same jeep. Me and that same friend from the first story and the jeep-idiot (at least at this point anyway) are crusing around Worcester, Ma (a.k.a. Woos-da). I'm in the back again. The two of them start fighting over what station to put on the radio. I look up realizing that they haven't looked at the road (either of them!) for about 20 seconds. I yell "Mark, STOP". To which he looks up, (we're going about 45) about 20 feet from the red-light at the intersection. He SLAMS on the brakes as we stop just about 2 feet over the stop-line.

Last time I ever rode with him in any vehicle he ever owned...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

talked a friend into talking a friend into letting us borrow his toyota. went crawling all over with me driving. eric decides he wants to take a crack at this wheelin stuff, didn't look so hard. he starts to go down this washed out gutter lookin thing, and realizes he need to cross this (ever-widening) gutter. i tell him to do it soon, while its still small. and try to go sideways, so he doesn't get diagonal on the gutter.
    so he immediately goes diagonally across the little ravine, and the front right wheel goes down about two feet. i tell him to steer into it, but he's got the rabbit-in-the-headlight look, and slams on the brakes. truck slides down a little, tilting enough to scare us.he tells me he can't do it, i need to take over. sorry, buddy, this bull's buckin.
    i crawl out the rear sliding window, and hang off the back of the truck, living, moving ballast. i figured if he flipped it, i would get a good launch over the rig. i had to talk him through it the whole time, listening to his voice crack as he keeps asking me to get in and drive. wussy.
    very interesting to go down a mountain on the outside of a truck.
    and of course, as soon as we get to the valley floor, he says, thats cool, i can drive now, i was good the whole time. whatever.

and i don't want to give the impression that i wouldn't get myself into that exact same scenario, because i could. but you wouldn't hear the fear in my voice.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Thats right delta, Tis better to burst into flames than to look like a poosay.

What I love is when you completely teeter totter your rig so bad everyone has to get out and rock it off a ledge.

I flipped my longbed with a girl and her 2 kids with me, the kids loved it. She didnt.

I drove the BLAZER into a 15 foot deep drainage culvert full of water 2 months ago. (I will never forget the exact moment in time that I heard my carb suck in water, ouch)

Built a bumper for her. Bent one side on a tree by accident. While bending the other side to match (on a tree) I smashed in the whole fender and door.

Came flying around a muddy corner and jumped an overturned car.

Ive tossed 2 people out of the back. One was a buddy that sacrificed himself to save my flying girlfriend. And the other was saying that I couldnt throw her out of the back.
    (knowone was hurt) But the first guy flew like 15 feet into some bushes. We all had fun with that, luckily he is tough.

Got chased by a pack of coyotes walking home across a freshly plowed wet field at night(truck stuck of course).

Wedged the BLAZER between 2 trees on a muddy steep hill kinda sideways, had to POWER her out backwards while turning. Can you say scraaaaaaaaaape?

I can go on forever. Anybody want to go four wheelin, Ill drive.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well heck yeah I'll go...but I will sit up front....don't relish the thought of going airborn into the bushes....but then again it depends on whose bushes...

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

9. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

About 9 years ago while in the army we're out doing some recon work in a CUCV. Rookie driver asks if I'll show him some "wheeling stuff". Sure, no problem. We do some mud work in a pit, dirty the CUCV up but good. Climb up and over rocks in a dry wash to the mountain top around 9000 ft or so. The ridge trail dies out at a rock wall and I tell rookie to turn around, requires a 5 point u-turn. Trail is kinda narrow. As he's doing his job I check the time...gota jet. Have a social engagement in about an hour and a half, wife has a new gown. Just as I tell him to move out smartly Bam. Rookie backs over a rock, shreading the side wall. Ok, lesson 2, change the tire on the trail. I ask rookie to get the jack and asses the damaged tire. He says what jack? Under the hood idiot, you checked it out when you did you preoperations check...RIGHT? IDIOT. Ok, lesson 3 field jack. Stack rocks, back the flat tire over the rocks, place more rocks along with a log and drive the axel on the log with the flat tire in the air. Ok, rookie get the lug wrench. Long story short, no wrench. (Got the As* at this point, got even with rookies trainers. Noticed a 'burb full of bird watchers a couple of miles down the trail. High tail to them, explain the problem. 'burb guys offer to assist. Get the 'burb guys to the stranded CUCV and find out they don't have a lug wrench with them. This one is on me, should have asked...IDIOT! (Who goes anywhere without a jack and lug wrench?) Ask them for a lift home, (live on post). Tell rookie to meet me at 0030 in front of his barracks to retrive the CUCV. Go do the social thing, a dress mess afair, (wife looked great!) Return home, tell wife gota go, she shoots me one of "those" looks, but understands. Get rookie from the barracks and head to the hills in my 85 blazer. Rookie notices the trail looks a lot different in the dark. Lesson 4, add night drivers training to all future field training exercises. Anyway, we get to the CUCV around 0130 take a cool 5 minutes to change the tire and head back to the motor pool. Gate guard wonders why we're out so late...training.

10. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

I just posted one under "Trail Box", but here's another

Unfortunately this was my pre-blazer days and I only had my two wheel drive 79 dodge (good ole truck) with posi track.

Well, the truck had a boot to the camper in the back (sort of a party rig) and I was tooling around with 4 or 5 kids in the back loud music and all. We were on summer vacation and had just come back from swimming at a hot springs. Well, I had pretty wide big tires on the dodge so I decided to drive behind our cabin (no road really) and come around the other side and make my own parking space. Well, needles to say, I drove right through bog about 1 1/2 feet deep. The front of the truck went through all right, but with the weight in the back I just sank right down. Everyone got out and tried to push could'nt get it out until we filled the mud hole up with branches and small rocks. Everyone (reminding you that we had all just showered for the first time while camping) got "covered with mud!" My uncle, who thought he would be smart and push from the rear left of the truck didn't know I had posi-track. There he was, (finicky about his appearance anyway) suddenly the posi-track spun the left tire and he got more mud on him than any one. Worst of all-seconds later his brother and family (who he had not seen in years) pulls up to meet all of us mud-covered morons (well I guess just me:)

He was quite appreciative the day I got my Blazer:)

Driving your blazer=FUN!