Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funny rear wheel noise? - 88 k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drsnazzy, Aug 28, 2006.

1. drsnazzy

drsnazzy Registered Member

Hey everybody,

I'm hoping for a "collective diagnosis" from you guys.

After a highway trip the other day, I was taking a slow corner at a stop light and heard a 'tunk' sound coming from the driver's side rear wheel. After investigating a bit, it seems to only happen at slow speeds when I'm turning. When I'm over 10 mph or so and/or going in a straight line, it's not there. It goes 'tunk', 'tunk' at a slow, unpredictable rate, almost like the axle or wheel is getting hung up internally.

What do you guys think? I'm a shadetree mechanic with my trusty service manuals, so any help saves me from paying to get it looked at. I can usually fix things if I know what the problem is...

THANKS!

2. drsnazzy

drsnazzy Registered Member

Oh yeah - I forgot to add that this is an 88 350, new rebuilt 700r4. The clunk (tunk?) doesn't happen when I put it in gear -- only whn I am crawling and have the wheel turned, generally with my foot lightly on the brake.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  3. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine was doing that and I discovered that it had a limited slip differential. I changed the oil and added a tube of Trans-x limited slip additive and it hasn't done it since.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'd say if its sporadic double check the u-joints and rear pinion for play and then you may wanna check your gear oil level in the rear axle and make sure its not the factory gov-lock threatening to go bye bye.....

you may just be hearing it engage and disengage

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Something similar with my old rear axle. Ended up being that one of the 'pins' that holds the drum brakes in place had broken, and some random parts were bouncing around in the drum. At speed, they apparently found a resting place, but coasting along, thunk, thunk, clank....