Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funny story about water in diesel tank need help!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by afroman006, Feb 7, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well my girlfriend's mom came home tonight and started asking me questions about having water in the tank of her dodge diesel truck. I asked her how she managed to do that and she said she filled up then forgot to put the cap on or close the door and went through a car wash /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif. She said the truck wouldnt go over 40 on the way home. She was asking me if the water in the tank (and engine) would damage anything. I told her the actual engine would be fine but her injectors or something else in the fuel system might be toasted. BTW its a Cummins 24 valve. So I'm asking yall, what kind of damage would water in a diesel tank so to an engine? Thx

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've heard it can blow the tips off the injectors...but that could just be BS. I have no first hand knowledge or experience with that. The rapid expansion from water to steam sure could be bad for the injectors I think. I don't think the IP would care much aside from the lack of lubricity...

Sucks to be her!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Rene

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Wow, that's a good one. Luckily your down south and it won't freeze up on you.

How much fuel in the tank? It might be easier to just have the tank pulled and drained. New fuel filter and drain any water out of the seperator that it may pick up from the lines. Make sure to treat fresh fuel with lubricity additive right away. Bacteria forming may be a concern with large amounts of water, don't let it just sit around.

I have never experienced bacteria(algae?)in the fuel but heard it is a pain to get rid of.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

More than likely nothing should be damaged. What's probably happening is that the fuel filter is getting plugged up, causing the low power resulting from not enough fuel. Draining the fuel tank and replacing the filter ought to be good enough. She'll probably have to replace the filter several times in the next few weeks until the whole system is cleaned out.

An RV dealer I used to work for had a '90 Dodge with the Cummins in it. One day I hopped in it to run some errands, and the thing died on me a few blocks from the shop. Got it pushed back into the lot, and did some checking on it. I pulled the fuel filter off, and it looked and smelled like gasoline. Apparently somebody had put a few gallons of gas into the tank before they realized it and switched over to diesel. I never did find out who did this. I ended up wiring up a temporary electric fuel pump, and pumped out the fuel tank through the fuel lines on the truck. Added some fresh diesel and a new filter, and it's been running fine since.

Casey

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well my girlfriend's mom came home tonight and started asking me questions about having water in the tank of her dodge diesel truck. I asked her how she managed to do that and she said she filled up then forgot to put the cap on or close the door and went through a car wash /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif. She said the truck wouldnt go over 40 on the way home. She was asking me if the water in the tank (and engine) would damage anything. I told her the actual engine would be fine but her injectors or something else in the fuel system might be toasted. BTW its a Cummins 24 valve. So I'm asking yall, what kind of damage would water in a diesel tank so to an engine? Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to add one comment on the experts:
    You probably steem cleaned you injectors now.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I would definitely drain the tanks or if they have a water draining tube do that. And change filters a couple of times down the road.
    Just reiterating what was said already.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif