Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funny Tcase noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AllamericanK5, Oct 1, 2006.

1. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

My transfer case is making a weird noise. It only happens from 45 mph and on. It only dose it when its not under load. I have checked all the u joints. I have actully taking them out of the yokes and looked at all the caps. I just dont know what else it could be. I tried putting it in 4 high and it still dose it? Any Ideas?

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Describe the noise. Grinding? Whirring? Clunking? Buzzing? Quacking? Barking? What do you mean "wierd"?

3. AllamericanK5

Yeah thats the thing im not sure how to decribe it. I would say its more of a kinda grinding noise.

4. AllamericanK5

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

what T-Case is it?

6. AllamericanK5

Its the 203 bolted to the th400. I think i will tear into the back of the tcase tomrrow. My angle coming out of the tcase itsnt the greatest but nothen has changes sence I took the old 203 out and put the new one in. Maybe the drive shave slip yoke?? theres a lil play in it but its not ahole lot soo. Idk HELP

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

then it sounds like you've got the same noise I do. It's just the slack in the chain of the 203 vibrating. Atleast thats the best I can diagnose it without actually hearing it. Mine does the same thing. If I coast from a highway speed it's so noisy I can't hear anything else but that. If I'm gonna be on the road for a while at highspeeds I'll just toss a hat on the shifter and that keeps the noise down quite a bit

8. AllamericanK5

EHHHHh thats what i was afraid of. That is excatly wut its like i can just turn of the raido and my sweet subwooffers just down it out ha ha not the best way to fix it. I guess i will be replacing that asap. Can I do it with it in the truck or do i have to tear it down on a bench?

9. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

as longs as you're not having any mechanical problems with the t-case then I'd just leave it alone. Mines made the noise ever since I've put the part time kit in. Because yes you'd have to take the tcase out and diasassemble it to replace the chain

10. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If that is all it is I would drive it too. we get a little noise from the older range rovers but dont mess with them till it starts skipping. then you swap it out.

11. AllamericanK5

Right on guys thanks for the help. My dad was saying some thing about a chain tenciner from 4wheel parts. He said it was under 100 dallors. Have any of you had experance with them?

12. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

A new NP203 chain is also under $100, last time I looked.

13. TC4x4

TC4x4 1/2 ton status

It might be the Forks in your t cas ebecause i had the same problem and last week i took apart my t case and looked at the forks becsue i knew that thoes can be problems and there are 2 forks with 3 plastic clips on each one and it thos plastic clips are worn down wich they do do with time then you will need to replace thoes plastic clips which are liek 3.00 for them all reall cheap i know, i replaces mine and the noise went away. When the clips are worn down the forks have a little room to move and they are not ithgt which causes the grinding.