Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Funny to me...but not to him

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by akbound, Jun 27, 2005.

1. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

One of the SSgts that work for me bought a low mileage Furd Ranger four days ago and last night it slid into the lake while he was backing his boat in. I don't mean the a$$ end got wet...he SUBMERGED it. Luckily it wasn't running at the time. Other than drying it out and changing all the fluids, are there any special things we have to look at before we try to get it going again???

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I would pull out the plugs, disconnect the coil and turn over the motor to make sure there is no hydro lock inside the cylinders. In other words make sure, damn sure there is no water inside the cylinders during the compression stroke.

3. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If the computer and air bag control unit got wet then it pretty much totals the vehicle. This will cause the seat belt mechanisms to fail and every connector will corrode. I have repaired and condemned several flood vehicles and the rule of thumb is that deeper than 4" inside the vehicles is a total loss.

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

This has been happening alot at Elsinore lately. Apparently the ramp there gets REALLY slick sometimes. People go to launch their boat, get out, and the locked rear wheeles just slide down into the lake. There is a pic somewhere of a motorhome that this happened to out there. Maybe Dontoe knows where it is? :D

5. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Can't you undo the connectors and spray them? Can the computer be replaced? It is not hydrolocked, but the oil had an extra 2 quarts of Evian in it.

Are you saying that it is not even worth a try? This guy just bought the truck and I would hate to see him out $3500 (yes, no full coverage).

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Sorry but....

:rotfl:

Maybe this is a sign that God Made Chevy :grin:

What are you doing allowing him to buy a Furd in the first place :blush:

7. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

For one thing I can only order them to their death in war........ordering them to not buy a Furd would be considered an unlawful order.

Got it running yesterday...not even a check engine light. Now he is going to undo every electrical connector and clean them.